Lumin T2 SQ improvement over current setup?

I’d wait to do that. I think you’ll find that the T2 sounds great the way Lumin designed it.

I used to chase every little bit of perceived improvement. Now I don’t, and my system still sounds great. Use that money for buying more music and supporting the artists you listen to. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got the T2 setup this morning and streaming Qobuz via Roon through it and upsampling to DSD256 and I think I am going to be very happy!

6 Likes

Nice one Kevin - congrats on your purchase. Yes you will be very happy! I know it defies all logic, but I did find it improved not inconsiderably over the first few weeks I had it, particularly the soundstage which, with some material, is truly 3-dimensional. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Well the T2 is really coming to me now.
Got about 10 hours on it and it’s warming up nicely.
The bottom end has tightened up considerably, very solid and taut.
The top end has opened up very nicely, a lot of detail emerging that was veiled to start with.
I was right…it was a very good weekend indeed!

5 Likes

Enjoy. Weekends is when I have fun with my T2. Hours of listening. Hard to stop.

3 Likes

I have the Lumin T1. I works seamlessly with Roon. Anyone compare the T1 to the T2? Opinions if an upgrade is warranted?

The T1 is a great player, but the T2 is a step up in both detail and transparency. More accurate bass, and most importantly, more natural sounding.

3 Likes

Was a little concerned my nuc would collapse at dsd512 as at dsd256 processor was at 1.8.
But moving up to the full Monty Dsd512 only brought it down to 1.3x and it’s been churning away merrily ever since.

Happy camper indeed.

1 Like

If you got 1.3 with NUC7i3 running ROCK, it’s great.

There were one or two (inconclusive) posts citing problem with DSD512 even with NUC8i7BEH.

2 Likes

Sure thing…

1 Like

Do you find any SQ difference between DSD256 vs DSD512, or they sound the same to you?

I was actually shocked just how much different 512 was.
It’s a lot smoother, some of the rough edges off some less than stellar recordings are polished off and gives it a more pleasing experience.

Now some albums do sound better at 256, ones that are not overblown recordings to start with.

Overall it’s good to have options

1 Like

You may also try the linear vs minimum phase, and 5th vs 7th order options.

For recordings where imaging matters, perhaps try linear phase (not default in Roon).

1 Like

I did experiment with those as well and settled on Linear and 5th order.
Best results to my ears on my gear.

1 Like

Precise or smooth on the linear option?

I’m now out of town so no access to my Roon but memory days precise…but it might be smooth…
Will not be back home until Sat afternoon to verify unfortunately.

Just be aware that using a linear phase filter will create delay synchronisation issues with other zones in the same playback group. Minimum phase filters are much better if you are trying to synchronise multiple zones simultaneously.

Does not really apply as I only have 4 zones and all of them are my use only.
And strictly one at a time, nobody uses Roon here except myself.
Just depends where in the house I am as to which I use

I’ve not come across this problem report before. If there is a thread or link about it, I’d like to read it.

Personal experience. I have convolution filters for room correction I apply via the Roon DSP engine. Linear phase filters have different delays for each bitrate. When you group that with other zones you get zone drift. Using minimum phase filters makes this issue go away.