Lumin U2 mini released

As Peter (@wklie) points out the “compatibility issue” is not limited to Lumin, other devices have also been known to have occasional problems when synchronising with the mscaler. This is likely to be caused, in part, by the galvanic isolation of the USB input on the mscaler, however this problem does not affect all users.
Fortunately Peter’s presence in the community offers an opportunity to discuss & resolve problems as many participants, myself included, have discovered.

:pray:t3:

4 Likes

Thanks! That is good to hear, also Peters excellent support is one big reason why U2 mini is the top candidate for my next streamer.

2 Likes

My digital front end: Nucleus to LUMIN U1 on Ethernet. U1 to M-scaler on USB (recognized by LUMIN app) and dual BNC cables to the Qutest. Everything works great, couldn’t be happier.

Earlier on I used my Nucleus as the streamer/server with an AQ Jitterbug and had constant recognition problems going into my McIntosh DA1 DAC. Had to reboot many times to keep system going. I switched the AQ for a JCat USB Isolator and that took me down the road for a long time with no problems.

1 Like

See my reply above. I’ve had zero issues with LUMIN and Chord. Enjoy the journey.

2 Likes

BTW I’m no longer using the JCat USB Isolator between LUMIN or Chord in my system. There is no isolation problem with Chord products IMHO. Not an issue. I don’t measure I enjoy.

This is, of course, your experience but that’s not the opinion of Chord who actually suggested that the problem I (& others) have had could be synchronisation issues due to galvanic isolation on the usb port.

1 Like

This is investigated to be caused by the latest app, and will be fixed ASAP.

2 Likes

I and many, many others have not experienced your problem which you voice here. This is what Chord says on their website regarding M-Scaler:

Tap-length filter: 1,015,808 (16FS filter)

Connectivity (input): 1x Galvanically isolated Type-B USB, 2x Coax BNC and 2x Optical

Connectivity (output): 1x Galvanically isolated dual BNC (enables upscaling to the maximum 768kHz), 1x BNC S/PDIF and 1x Optical

PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz. 16 – 32bit

I have been unable to find where Chord has said there are galvanic isolation problems anywhere. Anyone interested in reading a great article can read this white paper from their website: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/The-theory-behind-M-Scaler-technology.pdf

I looked at your system setup and advised (gently) that you set the volume control on your Lumin to “fixed”, but you said our systems where different without trying, right? You are using the DAVE as a preamp as far as I can tell, so why have a volume sub-setting of “6” on the Lumin? This could be a simple fix for your problem. I wish you all the best and good luck.

Hi John,

And I stated as much in my previous posts.

Which understandable as I haven’t shared details of my emails & personal messages to and from Chord support & Lumin.

I appreciate and have noted your advice but I have shared full details of settings & connectivity with both Peter & Chord support and my settings are based on the advice given in my discussion with both parties.
Regarding the Dave, I am not using it in Pre-amp mode.

No, I said no such thing?

If other people aren’t having problems that’s great and how it should be however, I am having intermittent problems and both Lumin & Chord have been happy to check things out and we are making progress in finding a resolution. We may conclude the issue lies elsewhere but checks & trials are ongoing.

1 Like

I noted the proof of what I was writing about. If you are not willing to share your sources and their recommendations you might possibly take your complaints somewhere else until the problem is solved and then share. As I said, “Good Luck”.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info., we have slightly different setups but the configuration is pretty much the same.

Forgive me, but this is silly…

I wouldn’t share personal communication with anyone and wouldn’t expect anyone else to do so.

I haven’t been complaining, I have through this thread, asked for assistance & the participants (Lumin) offered support by private message.

And every time someone says something positive you come on to say there is a problem when you don’t know what the problem is. You are asking Lumin and Chord for help while hurting their reputations. I’m part of the community that tried to help.
I’ve had a problem with a component before and asked the community for help and then reported back quickly when the problem was resolved (i.e. Chord Qutest). You seem to be trying to warn people about a problem for a small number of people while affecting the opinions of a much wider audience. That’s all.
You still haven’t said anything about making adjustments to see if you have a volume incompatibility problem in your system which could cause the problem.

1 Like

I am really sorry that I appear to be upsetting you by asking questions in the community I was seeking answers, which both companies mentioned have responded to. I have responded to comments to the best of knowledge with honesty & openess (while respecting the privacy of the companies helping me, I can’t offer solutions as I don’t have any as yet.

I have not, deliberately, misled anyone and have asked questions as I considered appropriate to Peter who, hasn’t asked me to remove any comments so I don’t appear to have caused problems for Lumin.

Most technology users will from time to time have problems and it’s the participation this community that allows us to ask questions in an attempt to resolve them without resorting to journeys to dealers.
I really don’t understand why my dealings with Lumin & Chord are causing such an upset for you.

My apologies for causing you such distress, over & out.

3 Likes

Please update Lumin iOS app to version 8.2 - should appear in 24 hours.

2 Likes

This fixed it! :+1:

3 Likes

Hi, Is ROON able to directly control the U2 Mini LEEDH for volume attenuation?

Yes, it does.

1 Like

The Android app typo should be fixed in app version 5.1.1

@wklie Is there a plan for a general relaunch of the Lumin app? It’s ok for adjusting the settings, though for the rest it‘s really outdated unfortunately.

No plan. That’s why we actively support alternative UI (including Roon, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, even JRiver and Audirvana to a less extent), unlike some of our competitors.

4 Likes