Lumin with S booster PSU ? ??

anyone here have tried Lumin T2, D2 or U1 Mini w/ the S-booster PSU ?

Yup, D2 swap.

In short - bigger sense of energy and urgency, more precision, better handling of poorly recorded music (presumably because there is a reduction in digital hash/noise), better separation (or more defined separation).

Its very easy to do the swap and make it reversible, just don’t follow the Sbooster instructions regarding ‘cutting’ a wire.

3 Likes

So it is possible to install the kit without cutting the wire? How do you remove the IEC inlet in that case, if not cutting the cord to the power switch?

I have a D2/Sbooster and second Mikey’s impressions. There was a slight but present glare that disappeared with the Sbooster. Much prefer the Sbooster. I did cut the wire.

2 Likes

I just tried the Sbooster with my T2… i did not notice a noticeable difference in sound quality of any kind.

As most audiophiles… I was looking for something magical to happen. But i didn’t.

So it will get returned.

4 Likes

Yes it is possible. Simply unsolder it.

Yes U1 mini S-booster swap (without cutting the wire).
I find the U1 with greater dynamic range, softer / more musical, better separation of voices / instruments.

1 Like

I use my D2 with an Sbooster. My impressions mirror those of Mikey. It really removed a digital glare I noticed with the stock D2, and as an upgrade it was well built. I liked the stock D2 but had some concerns until I upgraded to the Sbooster. Now, I’m quite happy many months on.

1 Like

Hi, I was considering an Sbooster for my Lumin T2. I saw you mentioned not much difference in sound. Would you mind sharing more details on the rest of your setup for some perspective?

Thanks,
Rich

Sure…

Here is my chain… Intel NUC > Roon Rock > Lumin T2 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC

Based on all the positive praise for the sbooster… I really was expecting something magical to happen to audio from the T2… I didn’t hear any noticeable difference. My setup is highly detailed and revealing… I should have heard something.

If you live in the US… you can buy one from Upscale Audio to try out… if you are not convinced … they have a no questions asked return policy.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I’m going to sit out the sbooster, at least for now and leave the items in Uncle Kevin’s cart! I don’t want to cut any wires and though I understand there is a soldering option, I’m going to pass. When I had my board replaced early on the first thing they asked was if I had connected an sbooster. At the time I hadn’t even heard of sbooster. Maybe in another year or two. Going to focus on a new preamp for now.

Thanks again!

The sbooster does not require any wire cutting or soldering. From what I remember… I think it was just a simple clip connector. All that was required to test to sbooster was a few screws to remove the top of the T2. I just disconnected the wire from the original t2 power supply and connected the sbooster… It only took a few minutes to make the swap for testing.

It was worth the time to try… But I was very grateful for the return policy.

Best wishes

Good to hear no wire cutting. I saw a couple of folks mentioning having to make a cut. When the money starts to burn a hole in my pocket I will revisit!

1 Like