Lumin X1 Flagship DSD512 MQA Roon Ready Network Player

The new Lumin X1 Flagship Roon Ready Network Player inherits (almost) all the features from S1 plus many improvements:

Dual ES9038Pro
DSD512
Femto Clock
New output stage
New power supply
Optical network and copper Ethernet network inputs
XLR, RCA, BNC-SPDIF, USB audio outputs

More details to be shown in the website soon.

2 Likes

Note that the bottom unit below the Lumin X1 is the new Lumin AMP (class AB, 160W @ 8ohm, 320W @ 4ohm) driving the Vivid Giya speakers

2 Likes

Peter, I’d just like to say that the Lumin gear is absolutely beautiful, your designer should be congratulated. I have a penchant for exquisitely machined aluminium.

Are you likely to be at the Melbourne Hi-Fi show later this year as I would dearly love a demonstration.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark. I’m not aware of plans for that. However, our Australia distributor is located in Melbourne. Perhaps you can audition our products there (when they’ve got an X1).
http://www.luminmusic.com/purchase.html

2 Likes

Thank you Mark - I’m glad we share a love of a hunk of solid billet.
Now excuse me, while I show this post to my boss :wink:

3 Likes

You are welcome Alex, I wish I had your talent.
I hope you get to listen to the things you design!

Maybe you could design a Lumin network endpoint DAC/Headphone amp :wink:

1 Like

Lumin X1 (Silver) causing my happy customer (previously used Lumin S1 and Ayre QX-5) to miss dinner:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=151647.msg1268646#msg1268646

1 Like

Some photos of Lumin X1 (Black) by Mono and Stereo:

3 Likes

User review of Lumin X1: (Note: the DAC+Ethernet streaming option+PSU upgrade+clock setup he compared Lumin X1 to costs roughly quadruple the price if I’m not mistaken.)

1 Like

Can Lumin streamers stream from NAS using SMB protocols similar to Roon instead of using Mimic server/DLNA installed in the NAS? If not, is there a future plan to incorporate this into firmware update. Thanks

No. Other than Roon RAAT playback, Lumin players supports OpenHome - UPnP MinimServer, AirPlay, Tidal MQA, Qobuz Hi-Res, Spotify Connect, or from a direct-attached USB drive. No plan to add SMB to player.

Thanks for replying. Hope you can consider SMB coz it can stream high bit rate without the limitations imposed by OpenHome, minimic/DLNA renderer in NAS, like streaming DSD512 and 768k. Having renderer/server built into the streamers means this can be easily updated to improve the quality over time.

I believe Aurender and Auralic incorporate this feature in their streamers.

1 Like

Lumin X1 DSD512 and PCM768 playback are tested for both Roon (via upsampling) and UPnP (DSD512 file and PCM768 file). I’m not aware of sample rate limitations of MinimServer.

DLNA/UPnP has limitation when it comes to streaming above DSD128 as it is transmitted via DoP method which I’ve tried before. I’ve not tried MinimServer so I can’t say for sure. MinimServer requires experience people to do initial installation into their NAS as most NAS drives doesn’t come pre-installed with it. DLNA is universally supported and incorporated.

SMB is enabled in all NAS as a default mode for communicating between NAS and PC. My argument is by using this feature already baked into all NAS, setting up between streamers and NAS becomes more easy. Becoz, now the rendering is inside the streamers; optimisation and improvement can be done via firmware update thus improving the quality then to depend on third party renderer like DLNA and MinimServer. That’s the reason I prefer to go for Roon, it uses the SMB, the simplest form of data transmission and it is found in ALL NAS drives.

I don’t think UPnP implies DoP transmission over network. In a typical Lumin setup, DSF file is transmitted raw from a media server such as MinimServer (or NAS built-in UPnP media server) to Lumin player for playback. We stream DSD256 and DSD512 this way successfully. Several years ago NAS built-in UPnP media server did not support DSD, but I think they do now, although they are still usually inferior to MinimServer.

Roon does not use SMB to send music data to an endpoint. It uses RAAT. If the music data is stored in local drives in the Roon Core machine, then no SMB is involved at all.

Thank you for your reply. I understand Roon uses RAAT to communicate with endpoints but it also need to pull music contents from the NAS drives (If one rely on NAS for large music storage), that’s where SMB still comes into play. Most NAS setup is not very users friendly; manually install a third party software is still more problematic.

Given an option to use SMB off selves is still an viable solution here. Just putting forward for a suggestion. Below is Auralic using SMB plus it’s own ‘Lightning Server’ built-in to their streamers.

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206793587-What-is-SMB-file-sharing-?mobile_site=true

https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206050368-Why-Lightning-Server-is-superior-to-other-server-software-?mobile_site=true

This is why we also have the Lumin L1 library, available in 2TB or 5TB configurations. It is meant for users who do not wish to use a NAS. Copying music files to L1 HDD is done via USB copy, which is easy. Once the USB connection is unplugged, the L1 turns into a network media server that will be seen by Lumin app or any OpenHome / UPnP app.

(Note: L1 library is not accessible by Roon for now, although this may be enhanced in the future.)

I normally copy or backup music files from my PC to my NAS drives via LAN (1Gbps, typically speed hover around 80 to 100MB/s, which is pretty fast) I use my PC to do download purchased albums and do some editing on music tracks before sending to my NAS. I don’t use USB copy as it is very troublesome. If you want to backup large files, sending across high speed LAN (1Gbps) is still the fastest and easy to do it. NAS provides one important feature not found L1-HDD, the ability to provide redundancy with extra hard disk in case it fails.

There’s are discussion in the thread about why Roon doesn’t support UPnP in the first place. I Guess if you support SMB feature into L1-HDD, Roon will definitely able to access it making more attractive for Roon users. Below is one of thread regarding why Roon doesn’t support UPnP for now.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/does-roon-support-upnp-streaming-devices/56

Lumin X1 review by Mono and Stereo:

1 Like

Lumin X1 review by audiophile-magazine in French:

In the review Joël Chevassus states:

“It is without doubt the streamer that in my system has developed the most structured sound stage.”

“The strength of the LUMIN X1 remains this stereophonic image of a hallucinatory precision.”

“Lumin X1 is a very exceptional digital transport, very precise…the X1 brings you extra resolution”

“There is this sense of urgency and visceral energy that remains a very addictive character trait of the Lumin X1, and that difference in terms of performance, between the previous S1 and the new flagship, justifies in itself the move upmarket.”

1 Like