Lumin X1 Flagship DSD512 MQA Roon Ready Network Player

Hello

Did anyone try the Optical input with the new switch from SOTM ?

Thanks
Alex

A Japanese audio magazine did:

Based on my limited ability to read Google translate, I think it is completely positive. If you can understand more than I do, please enlighten me. :slight_smile:

Hello

It’s a coincidence. I also read that same article earlier today and It looks like it was a positive feedback indeed!
What is still unclear to me is if a converter is still needed to plug the switch and the lumin or an SFP cable is enough?

To setup Lumin X1 using optical network, you need:

For Lumin X1, since it has a SFP port, you do not need a fiber media converter (FMC) if you use a SFP switch as suggested above.

Not for Lumin X1: With other Lumin players, a FMC + SFP switch or a pair of FMC would be needed. Depends on the configuration and FMC, the fiber connector would be different - since there are SC and LC type connectors. The Lumin-side FMC will need to be driven by a LPS.

Lumin X1 review from Taiwan in Chinese:

My translation of some parts of it: [brackets are mine]

[Lundahl Transformer]

For the output, X1 not only has analog RCA and XLR outputs but have digital outputs as well. Therefore it can be used as a pure streamer [for an external DAC] too. Analog outputs adopt a design similar to some Lumin models before - there are Lundahl output transformers following the DAC hardware circuitry so that the amplified signal goes through the transformers before being output. Why does it need this extra hardware? This is because output transformer has a characteristic of filtering out high frequency noise. Transformers have a native bandwidth limitation, so signals outside the bandwidth do not get transmitted. This way, very high frequency noise associated with digital audio is naturally eliminated. In addition, output transformer has a tuning effect and make the sound richer.

[Fiber network vs copper network]

Before getting the X1, I’m very curious about its SFP fiber network interface: What SQ difference does the SFP fiber network offer as compared to RJ45 copper network? If we need to do this comparison [completely], both the NAS and switch should use SFP connection, so the distributor lent us their QNAP TS-251B NAS and QSW-804-4C switch. QNAP high-end models of NAS have expansion capability, including this TS-251B with a QNAP LAN-10G2SF-MLX network card with 10GbE using SFP+ interface. The QSW-804-4C contains both RJ45 and SFP+ ports, letting us conveniently compare the sound difference between the two. To listen to fiber network, use fiber cable to connect to the switch and the NAS SFP+ port. To listen to copper network, use RJ45 network cable to connect to the switch and NAS built-in Ethernet port. [Note: Unlike what this review may imply, it is not essential for the NAS to have fiber network in order to enjoy the fiber network in Lumin X1.]

This is QNAP QSW-804-4C with both RJ45 and SFP+ ports. The fiber in the left connects to the X1 SFP port. The middle RJ45 connects to [uplink] switch. The black cable in the right connects to the NAS SFP+ network expansion card.

Fiber network requires a small SFP transceiver.

This is QNAP TS-251B NAS with PCIe expansion slot filled with QNAP LAN-10G2SF-MLX network expansion card to support SFP+ 10GbE transmission.

What are the differences between the two sound? SFP fiber has a black background with a pure sound, it feels more liquid, soft, delicate, layered, balanced and open. RJ45 copper network has quite a clean background, but sounds to have a little impurity compared to fiber network, the sound has a bit high frequency frizz and is less smooth than fiber. However, RJ45 is sharp and energetic. Comparatively, fiber seems a bit softer. In terms of soundstage, RJ45 is more focused on centre and saturated with a clear theme. Fiber expands to two sides and is more open and is extremely balanced. Basically, I believe fiber and RJ45 has different personalities and each has its pros. Objectively, I believe fiber offers more details, layers and is full of potential. RJ45 is more variable depending on the cabling. X1 provides two types of connection and two sounds to choose from, letting the user to match their own equipment and tastes.

In addition, Lumin also allows for another type of connection topology: use the X1 RJ45 port to connect to the switch, then the SFP port to bridge the NAS SFP+ network card. This way, a SFP switch is not necessary to enjoy the advantage of fiber network.

[Listening Impressions]

The following review uses Electrocompaniet EC 4.8 pre-amp and NuPrime Evolution One amp, driving Aurum Cantus Grand Harmony speakers.

I quite like the pure sound and smooth voice from fiber, and the rich layers and contrast brought by full details. So I start with fiber listening, playing Janos Starker, Bach Suites for Solo Cello. With the support of X1 black background, rich details from SFP fiber are more obvious, letting me hear that when the bow hair stops, the chamber resonance decays gradually in the air. In double stops, the resolution between two notes is very good, reflecting the details. The cello sounds a little sticky, not deliberately polishing a bright smoothness, giving the texture of friction among the strings. In addition, the shape of the cello appears very correct, with a precise image and proper scale. Low mids sound a little wet, making the tone more attractive.

Cannonball Adderley, Somethin’ Else: X1 soundstage is more focused and centred, especially suitable for a small Jazz band. Through the X1 playback, each instrument, each drum beat is shown with precise imaging, with excellent separation between each instrument, letting me “see” the band with realism. Besides, X1 not only plays with clear imaging, but different frequencies and proportion of sounds are strictly presented without blurring or exaggeration, and it does not have bloated bass.

X1 also supports Roon Ready in addition to UPnP OpenHome, letting me to listen to familiar music from my Roon Server on QNAP HS-453Be [TS-453Be ?] NAS. My HS-453Be does not have the fiber network card, so it is connected via RJ45. In this setup, Janos Starker, Bach Suites for Solo Cello plays with clearer shape of strings with even better contrast, giving deeper musical emotion.

Eric Clapton, Old Love: X1 is adept at this. Weak sounds are presented without strain. Strong sounds play with rich layer variations. It combines with transparent tonality and appropriate liquidity and wetness, listening to this feels great, and 13 minutes do not feel long at all.

Chris Babida, Tsai Chin, To Encounter - Chris And Friends track 1: X1 once again presents a focused and centered image with a clear shape as its strength, making the voice realistic with a dense texture and temperature thereby making it deeply emotional. I believe X1 will absolutely charm audiophiles who like listening to voices.

X1 is so great at Bagatelle music, Jazz and Rock, what about symphony? With 37th Tapei Int’l Audio & Art Show CD: even though the X1 soundstage is not too wide, but the structure of the orchestra is very excellent - treble, mid, bass distribution is orderly and not messy. In particular, the front, mid, back separation and layers can easily be recognized. The resolution of whole frequency spectrum is equally good with a clean bass. Even complex music is handled by X1 easily.

It is not common for a source to be like X1 that simultaneously has rich functionality, convenient operation, elegant appearance, small physical size, HiFi grade design and manufacturing, and high level of audio reproduction, fitting any requirement of any demanding user. X1 also offers a rich listening experience, through its fiber or copper network, or its upsampling, bringing different tuning possibilities for sound quality. X1 is not complex to setup yet it has the most complete specifications and supported services. X1 will not disappoint.

2 Likes

I think this is the English translation:
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/lumin7/

1 Like

In issue #169 of Hi-Fi+ there is a superb LUMIN X1 review.
http://www.luminmusic.com/downloads/LUMIN-X1-HIFI+169.pdf

During the review Alan Sircom states:

To say I’m impressed by the LUMIN X1 is something of an understatement. I am blown away by its performance.

It has a sense of absolute confidence in it’s own performance that is typically the domain of the best in analogue

It puts it in direct competition with products that cost several times as much and take up a lot of shelf space in the process.

3 Likes

Stereo Magazine awarded a 100% in Sound Quality for the review of Lumin X1 on P.12:

4 Likes

A Lumin user BlueSky shared his impressions of X1 in https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=14248&page=21&p=269022#post269022

My early impressions of moving from the S1 to the X1 are, quite literally, beyond my expectations! For me at this point in my listening career, it’s all about sound stage for and my venerable B&W N800s have literally faded from view. At times before with the S1, I could identify where the speakers were positioned with certain pieces of music even with eyes closed. With the X1, the speakers are gone and the sound field extends well to the sides of the speakers even encroaching on where the side surrounds would be if I were in 5.1 surround mode. I actually had to get up and check if I had something mis-configured just to be sure. There is also a glorious sense of height both above and below the speakers as well as depth that I was not prepared for. Astonishing!

(The material I am currently listening to is some works by Isao Tomita, a Japanese master of the synthesizer, including “Kosmos” and “The Bermuda Triangle”. I am looking forward to listening to more symphonic music later on.

2 Likes

Peter, I talked to you a couple of months ago on behalf of my friend with the S1 (from the great guys at Absolute Audio in Calgary, AB). He did go ahead and demo the X1 in comparison to his S1. Needless to say, his S1 is up for sale here in the classified section! I haven’t been able to hear the X1 yet as I moved away, but in July when I am back, I really looking forward to hearing the X1’s. He has Wilson Sasha II’s. Really nice combo.

1 Like

Lumin X1 review by Audiophile Style

3 Likes

An absolutely great review Peter!
Congratulations to both yourself, and everyone at Lumin! :star_struck:

1 Like

Agree with @Martin_Kelly about this being a terrific review. We’re also lucky to have @wklie as a member of this forum. Peter is a valued contributor who gives help to a lot of people, even when it doesn’t involve a Lumin product.

5 Likes

I agree Michael. Peter is both a great ambassador for Lumin, and a valuable member of the forum.

3 Likes

Love my Lumin X1, it is a great product and brought a lot of joy so thank you!

3 Likes

Lumin X1 review by The Absolute Sound:

Lumin X1 review by home theater review .com
https://hometheaterreview.com/lumin-x1-network-player-reviewed/

1 Like

I am pleased that another major manufacturer has announced a product that also includes optical Ethernet as found from Lumin X1. I think this validates the feature as being valuable and important, and reaffirms Lumin innovation in network audio streaming technology.

5 Likes

Hong Kong AV Show 2021

Lumin X1 directly connected to a pair of Lumin (class AB) AMP in bridge mode driving Magico S3 Mk II. No preamp is used as we use Leedh Processing Volume in X1 instead.

Network configuration is: Android phone with 21Mbps 4G SIM card USB tether -> Asus WiFi router -> Cisco SG112-24-NA switch - SFP module → Corning single mode fiber → SFP module - Lumin X1

To my surprise, Qobuz 24/192, Tidal MQA, and Spotify all streamed without problem, even with all those crowded visitors and exhibitors in the same area competing for the 4G bandwidth.

Fun fact: a visitor is really excited about the vinyl he purchased from a nearby booth, brought those vinyl to our booth and asked if we could play those vinyl.

(In case anybody is wondering why we can have an audio show, we have 0 local COVID cases here, and all exhibitor staff have to be either fully vaccinated or have negative COVID PCR test.)

10 Likes

I am interested on a Lumin X1 to replace my Naim NDS but before I make the move, I need to verify if I can connect the Lumin directly to my Naim 300 amplifier bypassing the pre. I want to reduce the number of boxes.
Any experience with a similar setting?