M1 Mac mini - Roon 1.8 (753) crashes upon display sleep

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini9,1
Chip: Apple M1
Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 8 GB
System Firmware Version: 6723.81.1

Using external hard drive for library via USB3.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB → SMSL SU-9 dac

Description Of Issue

After upgrading to 1.8 Roon is consistently crashing when the M1 Mac mini puts the display to sleep (currently set for 25 minutes, ‘Put hard disks to sleep when possible’ and ‘wake for network access’ enabled in energy saver settings). I get no system errors or notifications. The display goes to sleep, the music stops, I wake it up, Roon isn’t running.

1 Like

Just a thought maybe you could try just turning off the monitor when you walk away?

another option could be try Roon Server and see if this is a better solution in the interim. Roon Server is a non GUI version of the Roon Core, which you can still access with any Roon clients - just might be best to backup the database, then install roon Server then import the backup you made when you connect Roon to the Roon Server core.

Thanks. I can see that as a temporary fix but I wanted to alert the Roon team to this behavior since I hadn’t seen it mentioned in the community yet. In 1.7, I didn’t have any trouble. My remotes (iPhone, iPad, etc.) were able to connect to Roon at any time even when the computer had gone to sleep, which is how it should work. I shouldn’t have to have the computer fully running at all times for that behavior. I’m sure it’ll be worked out.

Sorry for the trouble here, @Rian_Satterwhite! We are investigating this.

I appreciate knowing that! Thank you. I’m sure you all are very busy with the rollout (which is great by the way… love the UI updates and speed).

Hello @Dylan. Is there any progress in this problem? We’re now in June 2021 and Roon still is gone after awaking from sleep.
If the sleep period is longer then about 2 minutes this always happens.

Did this issue ever get addressed. My Roon player never survives a sleep. I am using M1 Max, 64GB Mac OS 12.1, Roon 1.8 898.

I can say that it has been resolved for me. I haven’t changed my set-up but Roon has been solid and reliable. I don’t honestly recall when the change in behavior took effect for me. Wish I could be of more help.

Yes, fixed for me after last update.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.