M3u playlists not importing - request for syntax help

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

AudioLinux/1.7 505

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Arris cable modem/Unifi EdgeRouterX/Netgear GS108/Cisco 2960G - all wired.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

I2S from Roon Core to DAC

Description Of Issue

Neither m3u nor m3u8 files are imported. Playlist files are on the same CIFS/SMB mount point as music, within subfolders with tracks as well as on the root of the share that contains all music known to Roon. Existing and new music files import and play without issue.

I recently began using a tool called MusicIP to analyze and help me create playlists. They are saved as m3u files. Roon does not import them despite the storage location being enabled for m3u import. I’ve also found I have many existing m3u and m3u8 files throughout my collection but none of these are imported, nor have imported during the 2 years I’ve used Roon.

I’ve rebooted my Core, rescan storage location, no change. I’ve tried toggling both import playlists settings, removed ignored paths…no change.

Please advise, thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 10.27.08 AM

Hi @Larry_Post,

Just to clarify, the .M3U playlist file is stored in the /media/samba1 directory?
If you open the .M3U with a text editor, do you see the same path for the track as the path listed in the .M3U?

Hi Noris,

Yes, it is stored there, but no my path is incorrect. Thanks for the clue. I need to check my mount point in fstab and update the file. I’ll let you know if that works,

Best

1 Like

@noris

Unforatunately, updating the m3u file to the path of the mount point still doesn’t import the file.

The mount point underneath /media/samba1 is \192.168.1.87\music on my Core. From the host PC I can browse to \localhost\music and access all the music files.

Here’s a snippet of the playlist after updating to what I believe is the correct path: (there are two leading backslashes, the forum software strips the first)

\192.168.1.87\music\CLASSICAL\John Livingston - Candlelight Classics 2 - 12 - Track 12.mp3
\192.168.1.87\music\George Winston\Montana - A Love Story\MP3\George Winston - Montana Glide.mp3
\192.168.1.87\music\Allen Toussaint\2009 - The Bright Mississippi FLAC\06 - West End Blues - Allen Toussaint.flac
\192.168.1.87\music\Windham Hill\Processional.mp3
\192.168.1.87\music\Bach\Canzone D-Min.mp3
\192.168.1.87\music\Bach\Three Pieces For L Track 01.mp3
\192.168.1.87\music\Marantz Hi-End Audiophile Test Demo SACD FLAC 44.1kHz 16bit\FLAC\2 Blue Tab_Traditional.flac
\192.168.1.87\music\CHRISTMAS\Windham Hill - Abide The Winter.mp3

On 2nd look the share is actually Music with a cap M. I’ve updated the playlist but still no import. I’ve also tried Unix format in fstab file //192.168.1.87/music (forward slashes and small m to match)

Any other ideas much appreciated

Anyone else have ideas what syntax I should be using for the path in m3u file for Roon to import?

Core is Linux and music+playlists are stored on Windows 10 machine serving CIFS share mounted on Core.

Thanks

Hi @Larry_Post,

If the media is stored on the Windows 10 machine, you will need to have the playlist pointing to this directory. Have you tried keeping the playlist file on the root folder of the Windows 10 music directory and then just add this as a storage location in Roon and turn on playlist importing in the storage settings?

Hi Noris,

Yes, the playlist was generated on the Windows 10 machine and thus referenced the Drive/Path on the machine. It’s stored in the root of the mounted path D:\Music. This is where I started. I then based on your suggestion began trying all the variations of the Linux mount point syntax, still to no avail.

I do have both types of playlists enabled for the storage location in Roon settings.

Hi @Larry_Post,

Can you please upload the .M3U and share it with me via Dropbox / Google Drive? Also, can you post a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Storage tab?

Here you go. I’ve regenerated the playlist so that is references the drive/location on the Windows host where the music and the playlist exist.

The mount point on Core/Linux is //192.168.1.87/music

Thanks

Well, something must have gone wrong when I first generated the playlist as the one I regenerated to send to you is now showing in my Playlists!

However, creating another playlist in exactly the same way isn’t imported.

Here’s a link to the new one I just created, forced rescan and not found.

Hi @Larry_Post,

The two playlists look like they reference almost identical paths, both start with D:/Music.
Is there any change in behavior if you reboot the Core?

Yes, both reference the same music folder on the shared drive. I’ve rebooted. The first one I made still shows up, the 2nd does not.

Interestingly, a couple of others I’ve never looked for show up in the list but many, many others on the same disc do not.

It’s not a big deal, and too fussy for me to bother with much more. Hopefully, playlists in general get some love in the coming months or years…

1 Like