Mac App Being a Total Dog

HI @Tom_Pollock,

I’m sorry you’ve had issues with the interface. The interface is what makes Roon great and this is certainly not what we want for you!

I would like to enable remote diagnostics and get the logging from your core. Can you power it up and leave it running for me to do so? I will be monitoring threads this week so please keep me posted.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Thanks Wes! I can certainly do this. I want to make sure my MacBook Pro doesn’t go to sleep while you’re monitoring. Can you give me some dates/times you’d like to have me up? FYI I’m in the Pacific time zone (Seattle area). Also, let me know if you want me to have something playing back, or just leave Roon running.

I’ll second wired Ethernet for Roon Core. Only controllers are on WiFi. All endpoints are wired Ethernet. No troubles here.

I’d suggest moving your core onto the hard Ethernet. Also you’ll find that you are having restart races between the NAS and the Core. I found this to be the case when Core was on a semi-retired Mac Mini (Roon here predates the iMacs and first TrueNAS deployment).

Keep in mind that time to start a network track is largely in the hands of your ISP and your streaming provider, TIDAL. In Radio, time to start the next track can vary as service workload affects its ability to support the next track query which will include network tracks not necessarily logged as library tracks.

The ability to pick service tracks not in your library for Radio play is one of the big benefits of using Roon with a music service. I discover most new music this way. As a Jazz fan, Roon discovery is a major benefit as most artists have no bio, no reviews, no listener ratings, etc. Roon does incredibly well for me as a music discovery tool.

If you could, please start-up like you normally would to create the issue, then provide me with the date/time stamp here so I can look at the logs. You will definitely need to keep your core online afterward so I can pull the diagnostics.

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks Wes! It’s running now (I actually kicked it off about 12:45 pm PDT). I’ll keep it running & make sure my laptop doesn’t sleep. I’m not currently playing anything.

Update: I tried installing Roon Server on my QNAP NAS and setting up my Core there. Seems to be working, and the interface on my MacBook Pro is running well so far. Let me test this for a while. I’ll update later. Thanks!

2 Likes

@Tom_Pollock ,

Thanks for the update. I’ll look forward to hearing back!

Wes

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I noticed you are on Monterey 12.5.1. Did you experience any issues with previous macOS releases? My MacBook Air updated to 12.5.1 this night and since I cannot connect to my Roon core running on the Mac Mini. Via iPhone and iPad it all works well, but the MacBook Air cannot connect anymore. I am jus trying to figure out if more strict security protocols in 12.5.1 could spoil the fun.

BR,
Richard

Richard, sorry to hear about the issues with your MB Air Remote. Can you please check the firewall settings for Roon and RAATServer on the Air? I don’t think the 12.5.1 update modified anything, but want to check.

Hi Robert,

Roon incoming connections are allowed in the MB Air firewall, which is turned on. Turning the firewall off does not make any difference. I am by now pretty sure it is not a Roon issue as Remote Desktop is also not working anymore, where VNC from the iPhone and iPad works fine to connect to the Mac Mini. As far as I know only thing that recently changed was the 12.5.1 update, and other macOS updates have caused similar security issues in the past.

I am not sure what to check on the RAAT server on the Air. Isn’t that running on the Mini?

BR,
Richard

For what it’s worth (it’s a hackintosh so if there’s going to be any issue on an update, this computer is… lets just say revealing) so, I just recently (last week), cloned a drive for this build of mine that had been running 10.15.7 and did an major update straight to 12. It landed me on 12.2 and then to 12.3 and it didn’t/wouldn’t find the 12.5/.1 update… I got it the 12.5.1 but not by conventional Apple update methods.

At any rate, a few of my apps needed updating but Roon is working and connecting to my Linux core with no problems. Remote Desktop is also working. My only major network setting change was updating little snitch, which was problem free.

So Monterey 12.5.1 update didn’t break anything here. :+1:t2:

Solved it. Hardly dare to say, but after the 12.5.1 update the Air connected to the guest network instead of the home network… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

All good, glad to know it is working again.

1 Like

Hi Wes. I’ve tested having the Core on my QNAP NAS (via Roon Server) and playing on both my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 13, as well as a Mac mini. All are working FLAWLESSLY!

Not sure why the Core didn’t at all like being on the MacBook Pro, but at least I have the QNAP as an option. But if you ever take away Roon Server, I’m doomed. :grin:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.