Mac Audio Device Missing

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus w/Roon version 2.0 (build 1193)
MacBook Pro w/Roon version 2.0 (build 1193)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear unmanaged switch, Netgear 5GHz 802.11N router and a simple cable modem.

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LS50 Wireless 2

Number of Tracks in Library

1,000 local tracks

Description of Issue

After completely giving up about a year ago on ever being able to use my MacBook as an audio output device, I’ve since sold that machine and bought a new M1 Pro MBP. The issue persists.

The Nucleus core is hardwired into my switch, as is my wireless router. The MacBook Pro that does not appear as an audio device is connected to my wireless network. The MBP works just fine as a remote, as do my iPads, other Macs etc which are all connected to the wireless router, wirelessly.

From extensive roonlabscommunity research, it’s clear that this is a VERY long standing problem with dozens of people having the same issue. There is no firewall running on the Mac or on any other machine. The wireless router has no firewall or any QoS of any kind enabled. No AV software is running on any of my devices. There is no special audio software altering inputs or outputs of any kind on the MBP. Screenshots below.

It feels like this software is always in beta. I hope it won’t always feel this way, especially considering how much time, and money, and patience, and frustration, we’ve all invested into this ecosystem. Thanks for any help anyone can provide @Dylan @noris @Support

I’m sorry for all your troubles.
Have you tried to connect MB with ethernet? just to check if it is about the wifi

A post was split to a new topic: Output Issues with Roon 2.0 on Nas Core

Hi @Nicholas_Harsin ,

Did you by any chance use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to restore the Roon app on the new Macbook?

No migration assistant, no Time Machine use whatsoever.

Hey @Nicholas_Harsin,

Thanks for letting us know. We’re not seeing the Macbook on your account, if you could please run Roon on the Macbook and then use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

With that, let’s refresh RAAT server as well:

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new RAATServer

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Benjamin, I’ve gone ahead and sent in my zipped logs via File Uploader.

After refreshing the RAAT server as instructed, nothing has changed, sadly.

1 Like

Thanks for sending those over! To confirm, you’ve sent logs from your M1 remote, not your Nucleus, correct? Outside of some network errors, we’re not seeing anything directly related to the M1.

A follow-up question: when you use a different device as a roon remote, like your iPad, do you see your M1 as an output device option? If you plug in headphones to the M1, do they show up under your Roon settings> Audio?

With that, could you also share a screenshot of the Audio MIDI setup settings from the M1?

To better cancel out any outside factors, could you also test hardwiring your nucleus directly to your router, and if possible, connect your M1 directly to your router as well?

Hi @benjamin ,

Yes, the logs I sent were from the Nucleus Core on my network; I’ve just zipped and sent the logs from my M1 remote. When I am using a different remote (like the iPad), no, I do not see the M1 as an output device option. Plugging in headphones to the M1 does not show up under Settings > Audio.

Connecting the Nucleus to the router directly doesn’t change anything (and unfortunately I do not have the hardware available to connect the M1 directly to the router).

Requested Audio Midi setup screenshot below:

Hey @Nicholas_Harsin,

Thanks for the update. What OS are you currently running on the M1 experiencing this issue? We’re seeing similar issues with Macs running Ventura. As a next step, I recommend the terminal Core Audio reset as an alternative to restarting the computer or relaunching Roon:

Using terminal to reset Core Audio on the Mac. Go to Applications → Utilities → Terminal . Type in “sudo killall coreaudiod” and press Enter . This should reset your Core Audio daemon.

Let me know if the above helps. :pray:

Hi @Benjamin -
Yes I am running Ventura (the latest build 13.2.1). Resetting Core Audio through the terminal has not had any effect either. Have you found any information in the M1 log that could illuminate the problem? Again, none of my remotes appear as audio devices (iPads, other Macs, iPhones etc). It’s not limited to just the M1 MacBook Pro.

Hi Nicolas
I have seen other users having problems with the audio outputs due to the Ventura user handling and airplay/handoff policies. While this is a painful workaround creating another user sometimes helps (or maybe it is just the Apple ID). Maybe you can try if it fits your setup, and maybe it works in your case.

Hey @Nicholas_Harsin,

After a thorough investigation, your logs do not point to any issues directly related to the hardware or devices. They indicate that RAAT Server does discover the devices, but continues to fail to connect. We’re also seeing a failure in port verification when Arc is attempting to connect.

That said, could you provide a bit more info around your network setup? I’m sure you’ve already done this, but giving your router a hard reboot, and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes before starting back up - would be a good thing to do here.

It may be best to completely refresh your Nucleus database while troubleshooting. Be sure to continue to test things on the fresh database prior to restoring a backup. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

I’ll be on standby for your reply, :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.