Mac Mini and Roon 2.0 Native

Roon Core Machine

Note: I rebooted the Mac after the Roon 2.0 install and it now shows as native.

Headless Mac Mini M1 — Model mgnr3ll (VNC or iMac screen share for access)
Ethernet connection
O/S = Monterey 12.6
(Time Machine Backup once/day at midnight)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Internet up/down very fast at 200 mbps
Google Nest mesh router/nodes

Connected Audio Devices

Mac-Mini Core (Ethernet) → RaspPi 4 (Ropieee version 2022.08.1 (0523) —> Gustard X16 (USB) ) Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I had no problems with the core in the past.

Since going native on the M1 Mac Mini with Roon 2.0 here’s what happend

Day 1 … During the night the Mini shut down. In the morning, I simply restarted the Mini and all was well again.

Day 2. — During the night, I lost the DAC audio connection. All hardware was running. I checked Ropieee (with a browser) and it seemed OK.

First I rebootedd just Roon and same…then I rebooted the Mac mini and the same…no DAC. Then I rebooted Ropieee and also…no DAC. The DAC was showing no information (no signal)…

Then I rebooted the DAC and all was well again. Weird.

But … checking Roon, I was showing the Roon ARC port in settings was unavailable. I clicked reset and it was back again.

So everything works now…but it seems I can’t go 24 hours without a hiccup. With the Intel version of Roon core, I ran 24/7 without a problem for weeks on end.

UPDATE: Day 3 was uneventful. Maybe all is well?

Hi @Dennis_in_FL,

You’re actually not the first person to report this. We are gathering instances to help figure out the root cause. Please do update your thread with your future findings if you think about it.

Wes

Everything continues to work as it should (although we were without power for 5 days after Hurricane Ian). Seems the rebooting of everything fixed the problem, whatever it was. Or possibly an auto update of something.

Possible issue? —> I do a once a day Time Machine backup in the wee hours and the anomaly happened overnight.

1 Like

Hi @Dennis_in_FL,

First off, I’m glad you’re ok after Ian. I have never lived through a hurricane but my family and I did survive the Moore, OK tornado on May 20th, 2013. The apocalyptic scene and sheer human tragedy are something we won’t ever be able to forget. Best wishes to you and yours.

The time machine backups have been known to cause issues with Roon because they don’t grab everything necessary. Here’s a thread about Time Machine and what others have encountered. I’ll mark your last message as the solution but please do come back to us if your issues persist.

Wes

Potentially blocking write (maybe even read/write) access to the files of a running database application is seldom a good idea. I hope you stop Roon before the backup and restart after or that you configured exceptions in your backup software to leave Roon directories well alone.

1 Like

I’m aware of the Time Machine issues…but other than the above two days, I haven’t had a problem. I think it was something else.

I’m using Time Machine in the “Read-Only” mode. I’m not restoring from backup.

I am aware of issues with slower computers and Time Machine taxing resources but that isn’t the case here.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.