Roon Core Becomes Unresponsive and Requires Frequent Restarts

Hi @connor, I’m still having the problem of my Core eventually slowing down and becoming unresponsive. Closing and restarting the app on the Core fixes it until it creeps up again. I’ll try the steps. One question I have is about “reinstalling the app.” Do I do this on the Core or remote machine? Do I have to uninstall it first?

Assuming the fresh database would be local content only…or is there some way to include existing Tidal/Qobuz content as well?

FWIW, this shows up for me from shuffling all tracks or based on some focus criteria. The more I skip tracks, the worse it seems to be.

1 Like

Hi @Brandon,

You have my sincere apologies for the lengthy delay in responding to your message. Sorry for the wait! I hope you don’t mind, I’ve broken your post off into a dedicated topic thread where we can troubleshoot more directly.

Refreshing the database via the steps listed above (renaming to “Roon_old” and reinstalling Roon) will create a completely new instance of Roon. You’d only need to perform this operation on your Core machine, as the database isn’t stored on the Remotes. However, it’s always a good idea to reinstall Roon on your remotes after refreshing the database, to make sure that you’re running the same build/release of Roon across your network and to create stable conditions overall.

Your Tidal and Qobuz content are also stored on the database. If you restore to a backup after refreshing the database, your DSP settings and full library will be completely restored (unless there’s corruption in the database of the backup you restored).

The tech support team is going to pull logs to verify if your Mac Mini is experiencing latent corruption in the database. I don’t suspect it is, but since your Core unresponsiveness is a chronic issue, we’ll perform this check for due diligence.

You won’t need to uninstall, as renaming the Roon folder to Roon_old effectively performs a deep uninstall on your device by breaking the filepath to the system library on your device. You can delete the Roon_old folder once you’ve successfully reinstalled Roon and restored a backup.

Reinstalling Roon from the downloads link will provide you with the option of restoring from a backup on the login page.

2 Likes

Hi @connor, apologies for not getting back. Illness struck in the in the family (all ok now) and no time to troubleshoot this unfortunately. Anyway, I’m going to refresh the database today and will let you know. BTW, I’m actually running an i3 NUC with Win 11 (not mac mini). I’m seeing bizarre CPU fluctuations when completely idle (1% to 35 to 12 to 65, etc. for example). And when playing from a remote it will eventually hit 100% and become unresponsive, needing a restart and then the cycle repeats. I’ll refresh the database today and let you know what happens. Very grateful for the help, and again sorry for the two week silence.

Hi @Brandon

No problem at all and we’re relieved to hear everything is all well now.

We looked at the most recent Core logs, and while this might be unrelated to the slow performance you’ve been experiencing, there do appear to be some issues with certain .flac files:

09/07 20:24:47 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from '\\192.168.0.118\Media\Music\Kimbra\Kimbra - Vows (2011)\06 Plain Gold Ring.flac': CorruptFile

Note that this isn’t evidence of corruption in the database, but something amiss with these particular files. It’s not causing any freezes or hangs, by all indications, but it is something you’ll want to investigate with your library files.

There are also numerous RAAT dropouts from local network connection failures. It might be worth double-checking your LAN to see if any firewalls or other security settings might be interfering with connectivity.

Altogether, though, there were no obvious red flags on initial scan in the most recent log from September 7 suggesting that the Core was experiencing a freeze/crash. Please let me know if that’s not the case.

Do you have a remote in particular that you know has been demonstrating this behavior? If you can provide an approximate timestamp for a particular remote for these freezes, we’ll pull logs from that particular device and investigate.

Hi @connor, many thanks for the support. Sincerely appreciate your time. I deleted the corrupt files you mentioned. BTW, is there any way for me to check for corrupt files myself? So far, fpr whatever reason, things seem to be better and I’ve not had to restart the Core yet. Not saying it won’t happen but so far from my Windows 11 remote, it is working ok.

When I’m having trouble it seems to be this:

Shuffle all from either Windows 11 remote or Android remotes and eventually, it becomes unresponsive until I restart the Core at which time everything goes back to being quick. Eventually again, it slows and Core must be restarted (just the Roon software, not the computer itself) and all goes back to normal again for some time. Using the Core itself, I don’t experience this problem.

As for the RAAT restarts, I curious about this. My network seems to be working properly. FWIW, I’m able to stream 4k Geforce Now and Stadia at 2-4ms latency with no packet loss or frame drops all while family stream 4k video etc. Testing shows it to be very robust. There are many Google devices connected. One thing I have done just in the last few days is removed most of teh Google playback devices from Roon. I wonder if this somehow has resolved the RAAT prestart problems? Anyway, I will continue to test and if all goes well. I did notice slow response twice yesterday, but it did not require a Core restart to fix it.

9/9 6:30pm PST…slow response
9/9 6:42pm PST…slow response

I’ll post back with any useful information. I do wonder if I’m able to look for corrupt library files and/or RAAT restarts/problem myself in order to do some in-house troubleshooting.

Again, thank you for your time and assistance. Sorry this seems to be a somewhat nebulous problem.

Thanks,
Brandon

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.