Mac Mini Late 2012 Roon 2.0 Crashing [Investigating]

OK … latest update. For some reason when I try to “ungroup” the chromecast devices I receive an error using the google home app.

I setup a network monitoring tool (www.fing.com) and the devices are not appearing to go offline.

Whenever one of these devices disappears in Roon, I immediately go to a Chrome Browser to see if it’s still visible there (it is) and then I stream to it via the chomecast feature built into Google Chrome. Even more confused.

The good news is the rest of my devices are stable. Perhaps time to start a new thread regarding chromecast devices?

Hey @Eric_Taylor,

Are you able to share a screenshot, or more information on the error your seeing?

It could very well be an issue of how the devices are communicating with Roon, even if they appear to remain online on your network.

What are the specific models for the chromecast devices in question? What firmware version are you running on the devices?

I tried installing Google Home app on different device (iPad and iPhone) and I still get the same error.

I can confirm they are are online. The network monitoring tools shows them online and I’m able to cast to them via other means (Chrome browser, etc.). Seems there is some issue communicating with Roon.

They are all chromecast audio devices. Clearly there is something wrong because when I go to “settings” to check the firmware version/etc. I get a blank screen (see below):

I’ll see if I can get some support with google on these as well since something seems to be wrong with Google Home managing these devices.

Keep in mind these were discontinued though Google claims they will still support them. Unfortunate given the sound quality and how cheap they were. I got the last ones for under $20/each. The optical out provides solid sound quality when using a decent DAC and was a really inexpensive way for me to create a “whole house” sound system.

Hey @Eric_Taylor,

That is quite odd to see the blank screen when looking at the firmware settings. Let me know what google says on the subject.

And to triple check, you’re still only having issues with these specific chromecast audio devices?

That is unfortunate. and indeed a steal for getting a solid whole-house system! I would probably have done the same exact thing myself.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.