Mac mini M1 Chip compatibility with external hard drive

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

New Mac mini M1 chip (Big Sur 11.1)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Century Link WiFi/Router Model:C1100T

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Matrix SPDIF 2with HDMI cable to PS Audio Gain Cell/DAC HDMI

Description Of Issue

Maci Mini works with Roon when connected directly to PS audio Gain cell/DAC. However, Roon will not work when OWC MiniStack external hard drive is connected. Roon will also not work when the Matrix SPDIF 2 is connected.

What exactly is it that isn’t working when connecting these devices? Does the program run? Or you can’t find the DAC? … Storage device and so on?

Here is a way you can check for what your Mac mini can “see” on its USB bus. With everything connected the way you want, go to the Apple menu --> About This Mac --> System Report --> Hardware --> USB. You’ll see a list of all the USB devices that the Mac has resolved on the bus. Are all your devices there as expected?

Thanks for your reply. When in Storage, Add Storage Location, select Folder, choose Browse, select OWC External Hard Drive

I get “Error Loading Folder Unauthorized.

Can’t get past this step.

@Richard_Mayne

Look here:

You might to give roon access to external storage in the security privacy setting on the Mac under preferences

This problem may be related to Roon not having permission to access the drive. Can you try this:

On the Mac open System Preferences > Security & Privacy, go to the Privacy tab and on the left select Full Disk Access. Now add Roon. You’ll need to unlock the padlock and press +.

Now do the same for Files and Folders and make sure Roon is added and Removable Volumes etc. are checked.

Restart Roon and try again.

1 Like

Martin,
Your previous instructions to me were extremely helpful. The point by point sequencing of your directions solved the problem. I thank you very much!

2 Likes

I guess wizardofoz and I are just chopped liver…

1 Like

My apologies -my first dealing with community chats. I do thank you for your reply and willingness to help.

2 Likes

I was just joking around…

1 Like

Main thing is you are up and moving forward…enjoy. BS screwed many things over in this kind of way. you are not alone.

Hi @Richard_Mayne,

Thanks for letting us know you were able to get up-and-running with the help of the other users here, happy listening!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.