Mac Mini M1 Help

So, if the files move over in the same formate as the new drive how the the Mac be able to read them. Please forgive my ignorance in this matter. I thought i have to dormant the New HDD for Mac and the drag over the files from the Nucleus SSD?

Why canā€™t you use this and just plug it in?

I guess. However the SSD in the Nucleus is more current with some new downloaded music as well as some edits.

So, you didnā€™t back them up to another drive outside of Roon? I guess Iā€™m not sure exactly how to do this, but surly someone here knows how. You may need another USB drive so that you can make it your Roon watched drive on the MacMini, then somehow copy your files to it from your current SSD into the proper format.

macOS does not read the drive format of the Nucleus natively. Read posts above regarding software that adds that capability to the Mac.

I was talking about his other drive that contains most of his music files and was used with a previous Mac before the Nucleus.

I guess this sounds like a good idea to me.

1 Like

Yes. Ill try that. Thx

File formats and drive formats have nothing to do with one another. The Mac can read the same files as the Nucleus.

Here is an over simplified analogy ā€“ techies please forgive me as partitioning and file systems also come into play.

An unformatted hard drive is like a parking lot without lines painted that define where vehicles can park. Formatting a drive draws the lines and sets the size of spaces for vehicles so they can park in an orderly manner. There are different ways the lines can be drawn to accommodate the parking and retrieval of vehicles. So with data. Some cars may take more than 1 space, some less. The file system has to understand where the lines are and where the cars a parked. Different OSā€™s use different formatting and file systems. Some are more universally supported than others. The Mac supports several but not the one on the Nucleus (unless additional software is installed providing that capability). Cars and trucks remain cars and trucks whether they get parked on a Mac drive, a PC drive or a Nucleus drive. End of over-simplification.

2 Likes

Thanks again. So if the Mac can read the same files as the nucleus, why cant i just place the Nucleus drive (with a enclosure) and attach it to the Mac?

As aboveā€¦

Itā€™s not formatted properly for Mac.

It does seem like you could plug your older USB drive into a computer and copy from your Nucleus internal SSD over your network to the older drive. Then, reformat the SSD and copy them back. That way you would have all the files on two drives, one to plug into your Mac and one as a backup outside of Roon.

1 Like

The older USB drive has ~90% of my library. If i copy the nucleus drive to it, wont I have duplicates?

Are you going to use Windows file manager? I think it ask you if you want to replace each file or add a duplicate or what. If you use Mac, IDK.

My main goal is to migrate from my Nucleus to Mac. I get the data base migration. I just want to get the music i have on my nucleus to the Mac

1 Like

Why not copy just the items that arenā€™t on the Mac drive. Sort by date to determine whatā€™s newer

2 Likes

I might be following in your footsteps. I think my 3 year old Nucleus is dead. I need to decide on an RMA repair, repair it myself, get something different, or just use Roon on my Dell laptop while I reevaluate everything.

1 Like

Usually I trust Os to do this, when paste and copy a folder with the same name over a older with the same name you get the options to overwrite or merge, on older OS X hold down option key while drag the folder to the new location. But I do not know if that will work on folders from different drive formatting. Anyway back-up. I have 2 back-ups with my old music files (I do not use them for the moment), but with my work files I get paranoia and have 4 back-ups.

1 Like

true but irrelevant. both MacOS and Linux distros (and of course Windows) support SMB, soā€¦the problem is?

Hi Larry,
I havenā€™t ever had a Nucleus, but started with Roon on a stock M1 with 8GB RAM and a pretty plain Synology NAS (35,000 odd tracks, many in high res). Never had a problem. Install is very straightforward. I use the M1 for other intensive operations (studio recording/Logic Pro X etc) and even with all this other stuff running have not experienced problems, apart from the odd issue caused by the fact that the M1 Core is only connected via Wifi (others will probably cringe about that) - no issues at all since 2.0 release. In my opinion (Iā€™m an IT guy) the resource requirements for getting ROON to run well are minimal. Others may disagree, but I see this as a reflection of great software engineering from ROON.
regards,
Steve.

1 Like