Mac Mini not compatable with Roon 2

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini running my core. OS is 10.13.6 It will not update to Roon 2. OS cannot be updated.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT Smart Hub

Connected Audio Devices

Scarlet amp

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I use an Android S9 as a remote control and that automatically updated the app to V2. Would not connect to the core. Managed to downgrade to 1.8 and now works. Also using an iPhone 6s (ios 15.6.1) and that’s now saying it’s not compatible with the mac mini core. Its running build 943 but mac mini is on build1136! I don’t think a lot of thought has gone into the incompatibility with older equipment and Roon. Come on guys everything was working great until you updated to V2. If I cant use my older gear I won’t be extending my subscription.

I have Roon on a Mac Mini and can work with it in my office, no issues. I won’t update though but it does all I need it to do…

1 Like

As long as you stay on 1.8 (Legacy), you can continue to work with your old gear. You can’t expect software companies to keep supporting old hardware because people won’t move with the times. The iPhone SE, the iPhone 6s, the ‌iPhone‌ 6s Plus, the iPod touch, and the ‌iPhone‌ 7 and ‌iPhone‌ 7 Plus are now not supported by Apple in terms of updates. Even my 2017 Macbook Pro will probably cease to be supported with the next update, along with my 2018 MacMini!

With updated equipment, it doesn’t have to be expensive either.

iPhone updated itself to roon 2 and now won’t connect. any idea how I can downgrade to 1.8? i understand what your saying about progress but some sort of warning would have been nice regarding legacy equipment. the roon help link for the android worked fine and a managed to get 1.8 installed. but the help link for the iPhone links to a page that doesn’t exist.

macOS 10.13 was released five years ago, and your hardware is certainly much older. My 2016 MacBook Pro no longer takes upgrades from Apple, and stays on Maverick. Five years is the norm for long term software support these days.

You have a couple of choices:

• Switch to Roon 1.8 Legacy
  • Attempt to install Catalina on you Mac Mini using OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Search the forum; there are some success stories.
1 Like

Thanks for that. I finally managed to find a link to Roon 1.8 legacy and all good with the iPhone 6s. switched off auto-updates on both phones. many thanks to all who helped

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.