Mac Mini Replacement

I have one of these running Linux acting as a core with a 20K track library. It’s functional, but interactive Roon performance is lacking compared to my i5 NUC and I wouldn’t want to choke the poor thing with any heavy lifting in DSP.

Keep in mind that’s with Linux and no graphical interface. Running a recent version of OSX would likely have a severe impact on performance.

I also have a 2009 MacBook Pro running 10.11.6 and I often use that as a Roon remote (and nothing else). Again, it’s functional, but I’ve never attempted to run a core on it.

Given the cost of the Intel NUCs it makes a lot more sense to build up one of those and run ROCK when it’s released. Parts cost is in the neighborhood of $600 - $650 for an i5 with RAM and a fast SSD.

1 Like

Keep in mind you can purchase a sonicTransporter i5 for the about the same price. Unlike the NUC the sonicTransporter i5 is fanless and has a solid aluminium case.

Plus you don’t have to build it yourself and get a full warranty from us.

2 Likes

I can testify to the quality and ease of use of the Sonic Transporter i5. It’s essentially plug and play. Everything you need is already there and all you have to do is configure it and point Roon Core at your NAS or connected USB drive. Your can power it from your choice of LPS, too. Plus, if you don’t have a Roon endpoint, you can configure it for local playback and connect it to your DAC via USB. And it runs like a clock. Always there when you’re ready to listen to music.

1 Like

Hello
I just upgraded my old MacMini with an Euphony Drive. Amazing improvements!
Have a look at the few reviews on their web side. http://euphony-audio.com
I just agree with these guys.
Herzliche Grüsse Ulrich

Here we go… Snake oil.

2 Likes

That page has a bunch of really ridiculous claims for anyone that understands anything about USB audio these days.

2 Likes