Mac Mini Roon Server CPU Utilization

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini 2018, 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD.

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Roon version 1.7 (Build 521)

Music is on direct attached storage (SSD).

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Extreme router and Airport Express bridge to audio playback device.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bryston BDP-1 in Roon mode (but same symptoms occur with USB connection from MacBook Air as controller and playback device, or using a Bel Canto e.One Stream.

Description Of Issue

Playback works fine. No issues using the above devices.

However, RoonServer and RAATServer are pegging the Mac Mini CPU - even when Roon is NOT playing back any audio - it stays in this state until I stop Roon Server on the Mac Mini, but goes back to maxing out the CPU, as soon as I restart.

I have created a support package, but don’t see how to upload or attach.

Thanks, Ken.

Sounds like the same as this issue a bunch of us have Roon 1.7 causing MacbookPRO 2018 to run fans at high speed

Sure, but what does @support usually ask for? A ticket opened, so I did that.

Hi,

I’d check in with @noris who’s got the lead on this topic.

@support One more data point: the problem seems to go away if I reboot the Mac Mini. I will monitor this and let you when it comes back.

Hi @Krutsch,

I have followed-up via private message.

I have the same issue. What was the private message to Krutsch?

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Mowery,

We are investigating this behavior with the help of a small subset of technically-oriented users and gathering detailed technical information from them when this issue occurs.

Preferably, we are looking for candidates who experience this issue on a consistent basis and who also have an IT or programming background and don’t mind running through these various tests.

This is not a standard investigation, but one that requires significant time and multiple tests to try to identify the root cause, we have not been able to reproduce this behavior in the lab consistently and we are taking a look at all the factors in the study group.

If you believe you have a sufficient technical background and would like to help us with this ongoing investigation, please feel free to private message me and let me know what kind of IT background you have, thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I have no IT background but I can follow instructions. lol. I only had this issue 3x with up to about week apart so I can’t see any pattern or cause. I would not have noticed it if I did not read about it. Thank you.

1 Like

Maybe an interesting data point - I have this problem consistently. I run wired 100% of the time on my mac mini with wifi disabled. I just tested enabling wifi while roon was sitting at 350% and roon’s cpu utilization went back to normal levels as soon as wifi started. Roon continued to behave even after re-disabling wifi.

edit : I see it with Roon endpoint on my mini (server is rock)

1 Like

Interesting. I also run without Wi-Fi enabled. Next time I see it running amok, instead of rebooting, I will try resetting the network stack.

By the way, another thing I’ve noted: Activity Monitor shows a LOT of network activity for the Roon Server process, even when no music is playing and no controller apps are running, when CPU usage is spiking.

1 Like

Hi
You can see a Roon Server log for seeing what’s going on.
Log file is located at
~/Library/RoonServer/Logs/RoonServer_log.txt

Regards,
Steven

Huh, Roon went wacko with CPU again today again, so once again, I quit it and was waiting until the end of the work day to reboot to fix. Had a quick look to see if there was anything new that would resolve this. Glad I looked. I also run with wifi off. Didn’t reboot, turned wifi on, and relaunched Roon and now it is behaving. Practically the only reason I ever reboot is when Roon goes wild. Will be interesting if this trick works consistently.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.