Mac Mini Slowing Down After Few Days of Uptime

Hello @shinyc,

I just checked and we still did not receive a report from your Core machine, can you please use these instructions to send the Logs over to us?

What Roon Remote are you using to control the Mac Mini? I did see a report come in for your YCSHIN-PC Remote (which I assume you are using to control RoonServer) and I noticed something strange…

It appears that at 11:26PM to 11:28PM on January 15th, the I key was held down on your keyboard and Roon was receiving a constant stream of the I button. What is even stranger is that this lasted for exactly 2 minutes, not more, not less.

Did you press the I key for exactly two minutes here or could this be your keyboard malfunctioning and sending button presses to Roon and be the underlying cause of the slowness? Let me know your thoughts when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

I just sent you the log file via message. Yes, one of my control PC is named “YCSHIN-PC”. It is a windows 10 machine. I have no idea about the “I” key being pressed for exactly 2 min. Since it is exactly 2 min., I doubt it was a human act (i.e. not by me). It could be a virus but that, too, I doubt that highly. I tried roon remote from another machine and slowness persisted. This time, windows 8 machine. roon is now re-launched for I had to get the log file. After the re-launch the machine picked up speed. I also noticed that cpu load was above 100% with no music playing prior to the re-launch. After, below 50%.

Hello @shinyc,

Thanks for confirming that info. I have asked QA to take a look at the RoonServer logs and I will let you know what they say once it reaches their queue and diagnostics have been reviewed.

– Noris

Hello @shinyc,

I appreciate your patience until QA has reviewed the case information. We have a few proposed tests/need some more information here:

1. Does this same issue occur if you use the All-in-one version of Roon instead of RoonServer + Roon Remotes? As in if you install the all in one version on your Mac Mini instead of just RoonServer and transfer your database over, do you still experience slow behavior?

2. Can you provide more information as to how exactly Roon is slowing down? Is it just adding albums to the library or is navigation slow to respond as well?

3. Does this issue occur if you remove HQPlayer from the mix, as in try to stream directly to the endpoint instead?

4. What is the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear (router, switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect) and how is everything connected in your setup?

Please let me know this information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

You know what! After the 1.6 upgrade, I don’t see the problem anymore. I did have to restart the roon a few times but for different reasons. Please close this case. If problem kicks in again, I will let you know. Thank you for your support.

PS. I am running roonserver, not the all in one version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @shinyc,

I just re-opened the topic for you as you requested via PM, please let me know some more information here:

• What were you doing when this issue occurred? Playing any tracks or just browsing?
  • How long has the high CPU state lasted?
  • Is this your Mac Mini Core or Remote?
  • Can you provide a timestamp of when this behavior occurred?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

=> I was doing regular stuff for such state was lasting a long time (must have been like that for at least several hours)

=> CPU usage % was around 80~130%. Memory usage was hitting 23GB (where 10GB of it was compressed) with about 1GB used as swap file. My mac mini has 16GB physical memory.

=> Core

=> No. I thought I could but just realized that the CPU time in the activity monitor is actual CPU time used, not the time a process has been running (e.g. up time). I thought I could subtract the CPU time from present time to get the last time I rebooted but guess not.

Seeing memory used amounted to 23GB, I am hopeful that there can be a fix. Stop the leak.

Hello @shinyc,

Thank you for providing that information. I have just checked out diagnostics servers and it seems that no new reports have been received from your Mac Mini Core.

Can you please create another archive of the logs from your Core (Log instructions) and send them to us via private message as you have done before?

Thanks,
Noris