Mac Mini WOL-help please

Based on recommendations on this site, I went with the SSD.

Nice. Seems like you’re all set for a great experience.

Do you plan on connecting a screen, or will you control it by Screen Sharing / Remote Desktop? In the latter case, you will be well served by adding a little HDMI dingus that lets your mini believe a screen is present, speeding up graphics greatly. I’ll can dig up a link if you need.

I do intend to use screen sharing. I would love to see your link. Thanks.

Very excited to get this started.

I liked the bridge II network connection with Roon support. The mini’s running Roon bridge app also play well in sync with one another - much better than the Apple TV groupings

Here you go. There’s an Amazon link at the bottom of the article.

Just ordered it, thanks.

Ahem? Isn’t the whole point of running a headless computer a bit lost if you remote into it to access its “desktop”? Besides, by powering up the GPU you will increase power consumption, heat and noise. Possibly even lowering sq in the process?

Or am i being thick? (again)

Thanks Paul, i see what you mean now!

I remote in for doing things like software updates and ensuring backups (time machine for macs) are running ok. It removes the need to connect keyboards and mice and for the odd time that I use them this is a saving on hardware devices and physical access to the unit in some espects as I can remote from my laptop and do anything I need even restarting and changing setups etc should the need arise.

^^ What Paul said. Also – all graphics activity will be shut down again once screen blanking sets in – this can be set to a short interval.

When networked Roon Bridge or RoonReady devices are used, no noisyness on the server itself can or will interfere with the LPCM stream sent out through RAAT – this is all in the digital domain.

Of course you need to access the desktop once in a while, but the performance is more than adequate for administrative tasks.

:smiley: Now, that’s not a guarantee of sound quality IMO!

But i think thats another discussion! :wink:

Anyway i believe the OP will be quite satisfied with his MacMini, they are very useful little buggers!

No, it is not a guarantee for audio quality at all. The RAAT bitstream itself however is either intact or broken. No matter what noise the server may be emitting, it will not somehow magically infect a digital file or stream.

How that is stream is clocked, received, handled and converted to analog on the other side of the cord is an entirely different matter, but these’s no poetry in digital.

Anyway – we’re drifting off – here’s hoping that @John_Culver’s new mini will serve him well.

It is up and running. Pretty easy set up all told (in contrast to my old NAS running LMS). Roon is working perfectly (something LMS never did). I have used the GUI a few times, but mostly using the remote on my iPad which also works great.

Of the many wonderful characteristics of Roon, I am really loving the Tidal integration. With LMS, I had to switch back and forth between libraries and thus ended up getting less out of Tidal.

Now, back to more listening and learning my way around Roon.

Thanks all for the help. Take care.

2 Likes