Mac OS High CPU Usage

Hi @Jon_Saperia/@mavmcl,

There is no update at this time but once we have an update we will share. The CPU issue is definitely a priority for us, but it is a tricky issue to nail down, so we appreciate your patience here while we work on it.

I’m running Roon Server on my MacBook Pro and it ran OK for the last two weeks, but today I woke the Mac up and the Roon Server was running at a whooping 400% heating the CPU to more than 90 degrees, which is just below this CPUs thermal limit.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Wifi: OFF
Bluetooth: ON
HDMI output to a Samsung TV

1 Like

Hi @Anton_Podolsky,

Can you please try toggling your WiFi On/Off to see if it helps with the issue when it occurs? We’re still looking into this behavior to try to identify the root cause but other users have reported that toggling WiFi helps resolve this issue when it occurs.

Had the same problem. Toggle Wifi ON resolved it.
I’m connected to my network over a LAN-Ethernet adapter so i had Wifi switched off.
The Core runs on a different Server(Linux) so it was a little bit strange was caused the high CPU.

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Version 10.15.6

Same issue:

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
WiFi: OFF
Bluetooth: OFF
Roon Version 1.7 (build 571)
macOS 10.15.5 (19F101)

Turning WiFi on solves. The fix remains if I then turn off WiFi. Is this a phone home gone wild? What the heck does WiFi have to do with Roon?

I use ethernet because I use a Micro Rendu. This problem has only started recently. It is using almost 100% of each of the 8 cores.

Last time I noticed this I just restarted the Mac and that seemed to stop ikt. Not today. There was no interruption to the music so it could have done this many times without me being aware. Today I am sitting right next to it so I hear it above the muisc.

How very strange. I did as suggested and turned the wifi on and of a couple of times and the wifi is now off again and Roon dropped from using 900+ to 11!

Why is no one an swwring these questions. My Roon is just unusable now. I have tried the wifi thing again but to no affect this time. I have shut the Mac down, restarted it, all to no avail. I cannot play music at all because it isn’t safe to have my CPU running at almost 100%.

It’s safe to have a processor running at 100 just not optimal.

And you hear the whirring over the music. This is a serious problem with the program but it seems the techs don’t think so. The last time anything was said by support was 27th July. I’m still waiting for another problem to be resolved but it’s months since anything was said to me about it.

Hi @Knitman,

We are still looking into this issue, for any updates please refer to the main thread here:

We have heard from a few users that upgrading to Big Sur helps with CPU usage, so if you are running an older version of MacOS, I would try to upgrade if possible.

Thank you. I feel more confident about the upgrade knowing this. Have not done it though. Today, it did rise for a while but only to 83 ish. Then it dropped down to 4 something and stayed there. No whirring fan.

(Am having a bad time neurologically speaking. I try to correct all my typing errors but know I don 'y catch them all.)

Perfectly clear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.