Mac OS Laptop Media Key support for on Roon control

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon NUC/ROCK v 1.7 build 537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Hardwired ethernet. RoonCore > Cisco Meraki (switch) > SOtM SMs-ultra streamer (endpoint) > DAC > amp, etc.

I am controlling playback via a Macbook pro laptop with Roon running.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Macbook pro laptop controlling playback. The whole setup works 100% fine. I** am , just trying to sort out Mac laptop media keys support on his device controlling playback. **

I am trying to get the media keys to work on my mac laptop (control device). It is MacOS Catalina and there were issues int he past according to this closed post: macOS Catalina - Next/Previous/Pause/Start Keyboard Buttons Not Working

Any assistance appreciated.

FYI - I have authorised Roon under Accessibility as some posts suggest. It does not work sadly.

Hi @Chris_Donnan,

Can you please check to see if you have a media key option in settings?

Also, what version/year is your Macbook pro? Does it have a touch bar as well?

Hi

I cannot find a MacOS Media Key Support setting. I have looked through all the menus in Roon. Where should it be?

The Macbook pro is: macOS Catalina, v10.15.4, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid-2014). It does not have a touch bar.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Chris

Try looking in Security & Privaacy > Privacy Tab > Accessibility, and checking Roon.

While you’re there, also confirm that Roon has the file access it requires.

Good morning and again, thank you. Those permissions are correct on my machine, as pictured.

FYI - I noticed when launching Apple Music, the media keys also didn’t work. I found and ran this:

launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.rcd.plist

All is now working in Roon !

1 Like

Hi @Chris_Donnan,

Thanks for the update here! Since Apple Music wasn’t making use of the media-keys, it sounds like this was an OS-level issue, in either case glad to hear you managed to sort it out.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.