MAC OS - too much energy footprint - cpu usage when idling

Hello, I am using a Macbook pro 14,1 from 2017 I think it is. So whenever I use the
roon remote software on it its CPU foot print goes way too high and the batter drains to quickly.
There is alway some scanning going on and I can see the busy circle spinning.
This goes to some frustration for to the point that I first thought that the battery was old and I started preferring mobile app usage to enjoy my music library. This I find not reasonable for a commercial sw-product at a quite reasonable price.

The roon core is running on a Linux ubuntu 18.04 and the library is CIFS mounted from a NAS.

Model specs of MBP:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 194.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.43f6

Why would Roon start scanning if you are only using the MacBook as a remote. I would expect it to be totally agnostic of the remote used. It looks like your MacBook is behaving like it thinks it is your core. Is that possible?

There was a Linux kernel issue found the other day and posted here on the community maybe that solves the scanning and thus the cpu issue on the remote that seems to use more cpu/Gpu for this animated icon (perhaps)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the hint, this can very well be it.

It actually worked! I installed Linux kernel 5.7 and now roon remote isnt really hogging the CPU more than the likes of chrome etc.

1 Like

There are always strange ones out there that are counter intuitive! Glad it’s sorted!