Mac remote unable to connect to Core [Solved - SSD Power Source]

Once installed—took four hours for a computer expert to figure it out—Roon has worked flawlessly from my Mac Pro Laptop running OS 10.12.6. Today, I shut down my entire audio system—but not the QNAP NAS or the Roon Core on the SSD that’s connected to the NAS—in order to install a new preamplifier. Now Roon on the laptop can no longer find the Roon Core. I’ve updated all the QNAP software, powered everything up and down, etc., but Roon still can’t find the core. No settings were changed on Roon or on the NAS, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem—other than bringing in the professionals again at a cost of $100/hr. I don’t suppose it’s possible to assist without being on site, but thought it couldn’t hurt to ask. . .

Hello @Joel_Tatelman,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Can you please confirm that the QNAP and the Roon Remote are on the same network? If you are using any Range Extenders, Powerline adapters or different subnets that could be the cause of not being able to connect to the Core.

You also mention that you’re using a Mac Remote, we have previously seen the firewall settings be reset with newer versions of Roon, it would be worth a check to see if this by any chance happened. You can check the Mac’s firewall settings using these instructions from Apple.

Can you please let me know what the model/manufacturer of the Router and and Switches you are using in this setup are? I would try connecting everything via Ethernet directly to the Router first, make sure everything is working and then add complexity to the network one step at a time. We also have a Networking Best Practices Guide that discusses various aspects of having the best stability for any given network.

Please let me know if any of my suggestions help regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris, Thanks for your note. As it happens, I figured it out, and perhaps my experience will be useful to other Roon users. Prior to reconfiguring my audio system, I had installed the Roon Core, as recommended, on a solid-state drive. In my case, the SSD was connected to a powered USB hub which was in turn connected to the QNAP NAS. Since the NAS had sufficient USB connections, when I reconfigured the system, I plugged the SSD directly into the NAS. It was smart, I figured, to reduce the amount of hardware and electrical connections. That was my error, for it seems that the NAS doesn’t provide enough electrical power to adequately power the SSD, a limitation that the powered USB hub doesn’t have. Long story short, once I plugged the SSD back into the powered USB hub, Roon (almost) immediately started behaving normally once again. So that’s my story! Thanks again for offering to help. Sincerely, Joel Tatelman.

1 Like

Hello @Joel_Tatelman,

Glad to hear that you have been able to narrow down the issue to SDD power! Thanks again for contacting support and I wish you a great listening experience.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.