Mac to ROCK migration - will I lose my customizations?

I will be migrating from a Mac based core to a ROCK NUC. I have a large library (248k tracks, 16k albums) and have done a LOT of customizations. I plan to set up the new NUC, copy files over, and restore the Roon db from a backup.

The question is whether Roon will remember my customizations since the top file path will be different. The directory structure inside will be unchanged.

make a backup, restore it on new system. then edit the library location to point to new folder location. it’s seamless since you will be moving the top level pointer.

1 Like

I would probably make a few days of backup’s just incase one gets corrupted or messed up in the process.

I have a saved backup that I will keep “safe”.

1 Like

I migrated from Mac to ROCK using the process described without losing my edits (about 3,000 albums). Roon handles changes in file location fairly well.

My mac absolute directory structure is /Volumes/Musica/Musica/… so the physical drive /Volumes/Musica has the directory Musica under which all of my local files are organized.

So I gather from what you say that Roon identifies files by [library location]/[path within library location] and [library location] is a variable specified in the Library config. On my mac, [library location]=/Volumes/Musica/Musica/. So if I change [library location] in Storage to [library location]=/ROCK/Data/ and I copy under /ROCK/Data/ everything I have under /Volumes/Musica/Musica/ it will just work?

I sure hope these guys are correct, as i moved from a ROCK to another OS for Server with identical libraries. The analysis and everything was redone all over for all files… (around 200K files)

I copied over the files before changing the library location when I migrated from Mac to ROCK.

I plan to copy over such that the location is the same - that is [data root]/[my files]. Once copied I will restore the db from a backup.

How did you copy? Over the network?

Yes. I copied over the network from my NAS to my ROCK using Robocopy on my Windows PC. (I actually run a continuous sync so that I manage my collection on the NAS and Robocopy syncs over any changes to the ROCK).

For large data transfers, I highly prefer a sync utility like Robocopy. It can be restarted if there are any errors and won’t have to re-copy any files that have already been copied over. I haven’t explored any Mac equivalents.

You did it wrong then. Never analsyized anything again adn I have migrated a few times. Infact just did it yesterday whilst I had my main core down. Backed up and restored on my backup core with out any issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.