MacBook on 1.7 sluggish

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hi @dylan,

Sure thing, please find the link below for the logs I gathered from the Macbook Pro (that runs a Control) that exhibits the stuttering.

Please let me know if you’d like to have the logs from the Roon Core (that runs on my Mac Pro) or the other Control on my work PC as well.

Thanks for giving this attention with other Support posts raining in after the upgrade, really appreciated!

Thanks for sending that over, @Yargi_Erel!

Please keep in mind that the technical team queue will be a bit delayed due to the holiday weekend, but I’ll be sure to reach out ASAP once I receive their feedback.

Hi @dylan,

Was wondering whether this had a chance to get any attention at all last week? Please let me know if there’s anything else I con provide to aid the investigation.

Thanks,

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

Apologies for the delay here! This is still with the technical team and I’ve requested an update from their investigation. I’ll be sure to reach out once I hear from them.

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

The team is looking into this, but we are hoping you can verify something — Does the sluggishness go away temporarily if you reboot the MacBook? Or is it sluggish even with a fresh startup?

Hi @dylan,

Thanks for the update. I’ve just done a test. The behaviour is the same right after a full reboot.
I’ve done some further tests, the only thing seems to alleviate it to a degree is to force the the system to discrete GPU.

As in,

to:

Have you guys chanced anything from v1.6 -> v1.7 that will require a lot more GPU resource that only the discrete GPU can handle?

Thanks,

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

Do you have any help bubbles (similar to when you first start Roon to help you navigate the app) or a spinner in the upper-right?

Hi @dylan,

Negative for both on Control running on the MacBook. Don’t think I’ve seen the bubbles upon v1.7 upgrade. Spinner was present for a while after the upgrade as the Core was upgrading its database.

Thanks,

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

Can you confirm what scaling settings you’re using in System Preferences > Displays

Hi @dylan,

Apologies for the late reply, please find the screenshot of the settings below.

Thanks,

Thanks, @Yargi_Erel.

I have a meeting scheduled with the dev team this week and I will be bringing this report to them then. I’ll be sure to follow up once I’ve discussed with them.

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

I got some feedback from the development team and they’ve provided some feedback. Generally, using Discrete Only is going to give you better performance, so that explains why things are working better with that setting.

One thing that might help us better understand the issue is to install the Intel Power Gadget and share some screenshots of the GFX Frequency line when this issue is occurring. The screenshot would look like this:

Thanks!

Hi @dylan,
Please find the graph you requested below:

Throughout the recording of above metrics, I have been doing steady, repeating scrolling on an album page (with album description and tracks) and it has stuttered continuously. Above was with the GPU preference in “Dynamic Switching” mode.

Below is the same behaviour with the Discrete mode selected, just incase you need a comparison on resource usage:

Thanks,
Yargi

Thanks, @Yargi_Erel!

I’ll get this over to the team so they can take a look. Please note that, due to the holidays, queue times may be a bit longer than typical.

Hi @Yargi_Erel,

I spoke with the team investigating this issue, and they’re hoping you can provide another screenshot like above. This time, they’re hoping that you can start Roon but leave it idle without and scrolling or use of the UI so they can compare it to the previous screenshot that you sent.

Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Mac sluggish since update

Hi @dylan,

Unfortunately I lost my Macbook pro due to a logic board failure over the new year and decided not to get it fixed it as repair cost was too high for a product of its age.
While I believe there may still be a code issue with Roon (as the behaviour was not present in v1.6) I will not be able to continue providing input for you guys on this specific topic.

Thanks for all your help until now,

Sorry to hear that, @Yargi_Erel! I’ll let the team know and they’ll continue the investigation on our end. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions or issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.