Macmini 5,1 Core (2011) shutting down repeatedly

Roon core running on a dedicated Macmini 2011 “Disappears” daily from network now- each time I find that the core has shut down . Mini now running very hot. Crashed this morning and I restarted it. Same error message re insufficient system memory. I’d be surprised if it lasts the day with out another failure.

You’ve provided scant information so it’s difficult to offer any advice. Are you running a macOS or Linux on the machine? I ask since the last official macOS for that model is High Sierra and Roon now officially only supports 10.14 (Mojave) and above. How much RAM is in the system that it runs out of memory? Does Activity Monitor show any indication of what process is causing the machine to run hot (usually CPU/GPU related) or consume available memory?
I’m just a Roon customer like you. I hope support chimes in and can help you find a solution.

Support will request the following infomation:

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

3 Likes

Hey @Marc_Gillespie,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I’m sorry to hear you’re running into issues with your core shutting down.

After taking a look at your account, can you confirm that your 2011 Macmini is running on 2.30GHz (64bit) Mac OS X 10.13.6?

Based on these specs, running Roon would, unfortunately, put quite a strain on your system. That said, I’m also seeing you have a Mac mini 9,1 that you are currently using as a Roon remote. If possible, would you be able to migrate your core over to this machine? This would provide you with an exceptionally better experience. Here is a helpful article on how to migrate Roon.

I will monitor this thread for your reply :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.