MacOS Catalina CPU usage

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux deb 4.19.0-14-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.171-2 (2021-01-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Roon 1.8 (Build 764)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MacMini (2018) client MacOS 10.15.7

Description Of Issue

Client uses an inordinate amount of CPU resources (263%) even when not playing any music. I have seen several posts about this problem and wondered if anything had been done about it.

Hey @Peter_Bonifacio,

I’m sorry to hear, and to hear this late (I apologize for the delay :mantelpiece_clock:), that you’re experiencing high CPU usage when using Roon.

We are actively investigating this, so, if you wanted to help us, could you please share some further info?

1. Have you been able to get Roon running at all on the computer in question?
  2. When looking at Activity Monitor.app, is it just Roon.app that is leaking CPU or is it the RAATServer process as well?
  3. Do you have any security or firewall software install on your Mac?
  4. Do you have any virtual sound cards or other audio plugins installed on your Mac?

Here are some diagnostic tests that would help us track down this issue:

1. Disable the macOS system firewall, along with any other firewall software on your computer. To disable the macOS firewall, go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall.
  2. Download and install the “Roon Bridge” package for macOS from the Roon downloads page . When Roon Bridge is running, are you able to connect to audio devices hosted on the computer while using a different Roon Core / Roon Remote?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.