macOS Catalina interface laggy randomly while running Roon (High GPU usage randomly, Roon idle 20% GPU, sometimes up to 99% usage) [Resolved in Roon 1.8]

@noris here it is: https://juliusvandervaart.stackstorage.com/s/tKNvd6w9QVd8sV3

1 Like

Hi @mavmcl dit you try runnung Apple Diagnostics to find out if there aren’t any hardware errors? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

I’m not experiencing the extremes you are.

1 Like

I ran few tests already all good so far

1 Like

hey @jmvdv got it why it is so different, your’s is not the core machine, mine is.

Sounds reasonable!

Hi @noris, guys, I think I found kind of an implementation that will make this issue less painful at least for me and other users running the core in the high GPU usage affected Mac.

I backed up Roon DB > removed Roon completely > downloaded Roon Server for Mac, Bridge and Roon > Proceeded with the install:

1-Roon server.
2-Roon bridge.
3-Roon to have an interface.

This way when the high GPU usage occurs I do not have to recycle Roon completely, I will just do command Q to close the interface, but Roon Server and bridge will continue working in the background, meaning the music will continue playing:

Looks like this approach will help as well with the crazy CPU usage many users report, before this change my Roon was using 300% of CPU, now check this out 2%, 4%… and has been running since yesterday without having to reboot the Mac. This quarantine/lockdown is driving me crazy :smiley:

Definitively the GPU issue in the interface for these Macs still has to be fixed, it just happened.

1 Like

Following up to this thread too. There is a brutal rendering glitch is osx. you can see with my posted picture the difference

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 7.58.42 PM

between roon open as an application vs hidden.
2 Likes

hey @noris do you have any feedback from QA you can share with us, I am super anxious to get this GPU issue fixed, can’t wait for a next version.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @mavmcl,

Thanks for sending the Sample Processes over. I have a meeting scheduled with QA for later this week to discuss this issue, once I have met with them and have discussed next steps, I’ll be sure to follow-up here.

1 Like

Hi @mavmcl,

I had a chance to discuss this case further with QA and they have confirmed that they’re able to reproduce this behavior in the lab again, thanks for the secondary desktop suggestion :+1:.

We have a theory regarding OpenGL as to what might be causing this, and we’re investigating this in the lab. I’ll let you know how our theory pans out.

2 Likes

Hi @noris, thanks for the update, great to hear they made it to repro again and have some clues about the issue.

1 Like

@noris - i have uploaded my sample to dropbox:

The slowdown usually occurs when I am editing the Edit Track submenu within Track Editor.

1 Like

@noris - I have uploaded another sample of Roon. This time the slowdown occurred when I entered the Settings -> Audio -> Device Settings submenu for my endpoint.

1 Like

Thanks for the samples @RustySanwa. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we’ve also managed to reproduce this in the QA lab and are working on a theory regarding OpenGL at this time, I’ll be sure to let you know if we need more info.

1 Like

Hi @noris good morning, just pinging you to see if we have news or any potential ETA for a fix, hope they can react as fast as they did with 555 :smiley:.
Thanks.

Hey @mavmcl,

QA is still working on this issue, I don’t have any specific news to share at this time. I’m still asking QA for status updates on this often from my end as well, so it is a priority, but it’ll require new builds + testing on our end in the lab.

1 Like

Thanks @noris nice the hear this has some priority.

1 Like

@noris sorry to reply back again, if you need a beta tester for this issue I can do the job if works for you guys.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer @mavmcl, appreciate it!
I will let QA know.

1 Like

Hi @noris have had any word from QA yet?
Thanks!