macOS Catalina interface laggy randomly while running Roon (High GPU usage randomly, Roon idle 20% GPU, sometimes up to 99% usage) [Resolved in Roon 1.8]

Would love to know if others have a similar experience as me with 1.8.

GPU consumption decreased considerably for me since build 610, I can feel 1.8 far more responsive and optimized, the higher GPU usage I have noticed is around 15%:

Yes, I have. :slightly_smiling_face:

My CPU Utilization is still problematic.

Running Roon with Tidal on a Mac Mini (Catalina) and after having it running but hardly used by Mac Mini was running hot, when I checked activity Monitor the Roon was using 200% of my CPU.

I’ve got appalling GPU/CPU use on my M1 Mac using it as a Remote. Battery is getting hammered, with GPU constantly sitting at 20% or thereabouts and CPU at 35%.

What is it doing?

That is generally considered ‘normal’. Whether you think it’s high, is a different matter of course :slight_smile: Users have been seeing up to 80% usage (including me).

CPU use of 35% when it’s just sitting there in the background playing an album is not normal though, by any stretch.

Unless I’m mining Bitcoins for Danny.

1 Like

Honestly, 35% usage of a (single) core is something I consider not high. If you’re playing music that is. It would depend on what audio you’re playing, how many endpoints you have, what your dsp settings look like, any upsamping/downsampling involved, etc.

My VPN is now using 40% as we speak. My browser is using 25% as I’m typing this message. So 35% for playing music doesn’t seem all that high in this context.

What has that got anything to do with a Remote?

You might get apps that spike here and there. Regardless, it’s entirely irrelevant to the behaviour on display here.

My bad. I overlooked the part in your post talking about your M1 as a remote.

Maybe you are, we might all do it for our sw sellers.