macOS Catalina interface laggy randomly while running Roon (High GPU usage randomly, Roon idle 20% GPU, sometimes up to 99% usage) [Resolved in Roon 1.8]

Hi @mavmcl,

First, I want to let you know that your patience has been much appreciated as we’ve investigated this issue further internally. I met with the QA team today to discuss how the testing of the new build was going.

While the changes contained in the new build are helpful in many ways, unfortunately this specific GPU issue is not resolved by the changes that were made. We are, of course, continuing to investigate this issue further and we hope to have more changes to make in the future to address this, but unfortunately these changes will not be a part of our upcoming release.

I know this isn’t the news we were hoping for, but the team remains confident that they’ll be able to resolve this issue with some further investigation. I’ll continue to keep you in the loop as I receive more updates from the team, and once again, you have my thanks for your patience here.

1 Like

Hi @noris thanks for following up on the latest updates from QA team.
Thanks for honest feedback. For sure not what I and other users with this issue wanted to hear.

Is there any expected ETA for them to address this? it is quite painful having limited GUI functionality and/or keep monitoring the GPU resource usage, it is very very concerning thinking about having to deal with this issue for 2 or 3 more months or even years!
Thanks.

Hi @mavmcl,

First, I’d like to say that we appreciate your patience as we’ve continued to investigate this issue. After gathering data from a number of reports, as well as our own testing, we’ve traced this issue to a specific GPU series that appears to not be handling Roon how we’d expect.

While we don’t have this resolved just yet, our QA team is in the process of acquiring this specific hardware for further internal testing in our labs. With this specific hardware in house, we believe we will be able to see first-hand why certain devices are not reacting to Roon the way we’d expect and can then get a report to our development team to resolve the issue.

Hardware-specific issues like this can require some in-depth testing to fully understand, so we can’t offer any specific timelines just yet. With that in mind, we want to assure you that this is a top priority for us. We want to make sure that we get this right, and we know it’s already taken longer than anyone would have liked.

The team remains confident that bringing this hardware in-house will be a big step toward getting this resolved, and we will be sure to keep everyone in the loop as soon as we have further information on this. Thanks again for the patience you’ve shown as we work to resolve this, along with the great details you’ve all provided to us to aid in our investigation.

Roon Technical Support

1 Like

Thanks @dylan and @noris appreciate the transparency, at any moment feel free to ping me to have access to my hardware to do any testing you may need as that iMac 2019 is dedicated to Roon.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @support guys, just FYI no changes at all after 571 deployment as expected:

All Mac clients updated to 571 as well.
Thanks.

Hi @dylan ,

While it’s great to hear that you guys are working on this, the news that you are pursuing a hardware specific cause is a bit disheartening, for me at least, as I am experiencing a very similar issue on a quite different machine with different internals (2013 Mac Pro, details are below)

Shall I chase for a resolution on that ticket separately or will it benefit from your specific testing efforts for @mavmcl 's issue?

Thanks,

that is interesting in a disencourage way :upside_down_face: so happening in old HW as well.
haven’t pay attention to those HW details when shared the link with you @Yargi_Erel

Hi @Dylan @noris is there any progress on this issue? any QA news you can share with us?
Thanks.

@Dylan @noris another report from @gary_v the situation did not improved after 528 as we all know, this user reported this back on December 8 months ago, need higher priority.

1 Like

Hi @mavmcl,

There are no updates from QA at this time, but they are aware and working on this issue. Once we have further news to report, we will be sure to do so here, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @noris I just noticed something new. Since version 571 I just stopped attempting to use Roon interface in full screen, now using it as a window in my main desktop, so I had a lot of windows open so reduced the Roon window size from lets say 2/3rds of the screen to the smaller size Roon allowed me, I did noticed the GPU usage went down from around 30% to 6-10%, hope that can help QA.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info @mavmcl, I’ve noted this in the ticket.

1 Like

Hello @Dylan @noris its been exactly a month after your official communication acknowledging these bad GPU and CPU issues Roon has for many Mac users, I would like you to deliver an update, it is highly disappointing having to wait for so long to get a resolution or event an update, how many more months are we going to have to wait? 106 days since I opened this support case.
This is not a minor issue, this is as Ugly as the google cloud issue was for end users, many of us would double think before engaging with Roon if knowing about this major flaws.
The issue is not going away… every day many times a day, I have reached the point where I can’t use other desktop spaces as Roon will just blow up using the 100% of GPU.
Please an update.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @mavmcl,

We’ve made some progress here in our QA team’s investigation and we are continuing to move this issue forward internally. This issue is complex and requires a lot of testing across different types of hardware, so while this issue remains a high priority for us it will take some time to fully diagnose, resolve, and test before we can release.

We are checking in on this issue with our QA and development teams regarding this issue regularly and we are happy with the progress that we’ve seen. I know this issue has been going on longer than we would have liked, but rest assured that this is a high priority that our team continues to make progress on. We’ll be sure to keep you up to date when we have more information about this.

Thanks,
Dylan

1 Like

Hi @Dylan appreciate the update, please if there is a beta I would be more than happy to deploy it if there is a potential improvement, this issue impact my daily tasks as due the corona outbreak I switched to fully WFH few months ago, that iMac is my work computer by now, that’s why the extra noise from my side.
Thanks.

Hi @Dylan @noris hope it is going well, is there any update or progress you can share?
Thanks.

The following seems to work, as a temporary work around…

No luck with that, that may help user with high CPU usage issues (not me…), this is about the GPU, just gave it a repro, look:

Looking forward to @support news hopefully :slight_smile:

Hi @Dylan @noris haven’t heard anything from you in about half month, do you have an update?
Thanks.

@Dylan @noris anything guys? its been too long and since the issue was acknowledged there has been 0 updates, any hope of fix in the next release?