macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

Jan-Willem - Done

1 Like

Paolo

Nothing against Apple gear per se just that as I said it takes away the reliance on ‘outwith’ Roon software or at least updates to it. If you still had the Mac Mini and had updated to Catalina then I guess you would be experiencing the current problem

… and I would be :rage: … at Roon!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Fair Enough

1 Like

Yes “that specced up MacMini” has a 2TB SSD. Thanks for the interest. Mini for core and Lightroom. Better results keeping core and library separate SSD.

1 Like

I don’t often post on any forum because I learnt a long time ago that they just make me cross. I do lurk though, occasionally, and I am often amused by the people with a chronic case of entitlement disease demanding some minor tweak to the Roon software or they will cancel their subscriptions. I hope my request for some info on the Roon Catalina problem does not put me in that category. The ‘just get over it’ and ‘use something else’ comments in this thread are mildly irritating: The ‘it’s not Roon’s fault’ comments just show a basic ignorance of how things work - it is not a ‘bug’. I understand the feck-ups happen but a decent company would own up, explain the problem, keep us updated and try and give a date for resolution. This is a very bad fail for the company. Roon?

11 Likes

I have the same issue from the early Catalina beta, and i did a workaround until the fix is released, as follows:

1. Connect the external drive containing music to a different computer (not the one running roon core, it can be a Catalina machine as well, or windows, linux…),
    and enable network sharing for that drive

2. on roon core go to “Settgins / Storage” and click the three dots on the right of the current Music storage location and click “Edit”

3. click “Browse” and than “+ Add network share”

4. enter network details (IP address of the new device where the drive is connected, drive name, username, password) and click “Add Network Share”

5. Select the new network share containing drive and browse to the music folder and click “Select This Folder”

Roon will rescan the files and nothing will be changed, and music is ready for playback.

When problem is resolved by roon, just return the drive to the roon core computer and do the same (change back to USB external drive)

3 Likes

My 2018 Mac Mini runs without issues with 17k+ albums, also functions as a video server with 30TB+ there. I’m sure a NUC works great too but I’ve never had any problems and it manages all of my media server needs smoothly and cost me less than the NUC would. Absolutely no reason to change course on my end.

1 Like

There is no one best OS for running a RoonCore, imho. All have their pros and cons. And, NUCs can be used as a core with other OS’s than ROCK; I have set many of them up as Window’s based Roon Cores, works fantastically.

I think this workaround would be OK with something as simple as a Raspberry Pi. Irritating, but still a way to move forward for about $80.

Many NAS and Routers have the ability to plug in a networked external drive; not a long term solution but one that doesn’t require additional expenditure.

1 Like

Daniel

I am prepared to stand corrected but as I understand it that would still not work because the Catalina’d MAC would see the NAS or the Router as an external drive and apply the security protocols that are causing the problem.

No, it sees it as a network share and it works as it should, without security problems.

So this issue does not affect music stored on a NAS on the Network when tagged as a Music Share but only external hard drives (USB etc) attached to the Mac being used as the Core?

That must cut the number of affected users quite considerably.

Yes, ONLY the drives attached to USB directly to roon core machine.

I have one of these in my kit, too. It should work as well to connect an external drive.

Hope we don’t have any new issues here

macOS Catalina 10.15.1 is now available with opt-in Siri review, support for AirPods Pro

I’m connected via T3, not USB. Same issue.

A bit dismayed by the time it’s taking for a fix.

@noris, is everything good on your side (Roonlabs dev/qa/support)?