macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

I’ve now belatedly reset my Mac to end automatic updating. However, with a Roon Nucleus + and NAS storage library of around 6,000 cd files that I’ve been accessing every single day, being unable to access much of my music has me quite disappointed and though I love TIDAL and have incorporated approximately 3,500 titles in my library, I want to use my first post to communicate with Roon and urge them to stay “on it” and offer a fix soon.

1 Like

What issue do you have if you’re using a Nucleus+ for your Roon core?

BTW, I think it’s a good idea to disable automatic updates–that’s what I do as I’ve seen enough warnings on my MacBook for sometime, e.g. “not optimised for your Mac” or “This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility”. I doubt that I’ll be upgrading to Catalina any time soon.

I use my MacBook for control only. However, if I did, my solution would be to make use of Boot Camp and Windows 10.

I have been alerted from Apple for months on trying/testing their beta release of Catalina. Roonlabs would have received the same alerts and code to do the necessary testing. I would also think to test their system using an external drive, maybe that’s where they failed.

I would agree that they (Roonlabs)c has been terrible not communicating to their clients that:

1. they are experiencing issues with the beta Catalina releases and they wouldn’t recommend updating
  2. give status on their work on trying to fix the issue

Roonlabs has been terrible at this

3 Likes

macOS Catalina is a non-issue in regards to Roon if you are using a Nucleus + as a Roon Core and a NAS to store your music files. I am using macOS Catalina as a Roon Endpoint in my office and I have access to my entire Roon library with the Roon Core running on a sonicTransporter i5.

Why are you using a NAS for storage when you could just attach a drive directly to the Nucleus +??

It has now been a week since Catalina was released and there’s still no fix or upgrade . . . plus, mods deleted the workaround that Daniel Lin (Chui_HUi_Lin) posted and which I used before it was deleted, so now Roon won’t start without the Terminal command at all. I hope that someone can come up with a workaround for the workaround when the Roon software is made compatible with Catalina. I’m afraid that the workaround Terminal command that was posted won’t be able to be reverse engineered to put my HD back in pre-Catalina-workaround state. I’ve tried using Time Machine to no avail, tried reinstalling the Catalina OS, and tried reinstalling Roon software on my MBP — all to no avail. I don’t even get Roon to start up and take me to the point where the external HDs are shown. Nothing except the vibrating Roon logo.
It was mentioned by mods they’re “hoping to have a fix live soon.” Is this going to happen sometime soon? Do I need to wipe my HD and put everything to pre-Catalina state? This is a deal-breaker for me, as much as I love Roon.

1 Like

I am going to say it even though I know it will piss a lot of people off. Why are people not pissed at Apple? Lots of software got hosed with this update. Roon is not the only one. If Roon is mission critical for you then why did you do the update before finding out if the current version of Roon worked with Catalina? Why would you not have waited a bit to see if other peoples experiences were positive or negative. I am stunned at how many people seem to be pissed at Roon when the person they really should be pissed at is themselves for doing an update without regard to the consequences. Falling on the Roon should have been testing all this time rag is just lame. What if Roon was testing but had been waiting for the final version because suppose they fixed something in Beta 2 that was then changed in the final version. Work for nothing. You all did this to yourselves. Stop whining.

11 Likes

I do not get cross because Roon does not work with the MacOS Catalina, I get cross because of the lack of communication from RoonLabs.

5 Likes

Why would anyone be pissed at Apple? They have said for a very long time that this release was not going to support 32-bit apps. They said for a long time that the iTunes app was going away to be replaced by 3 separate apps. They made Catalina available to developers for a long time and they made it available in public beta for a long time.

Apple is going to innovate which means software from the past is sometimes going to break. Companies had time to update their software. How many did?

Yes, DJs and people that used certain aspects of iTunes did get screwed. But that is a small number of people. Apple screwed up there and hopefully there will be some solutions soon.

3 Likes

:joy: How long have you got??

2 Likes

Martin, I cannot access my storage since the upgrade, like most expressing their concerns here.

Sorry, but I don’t understand … you are using a Nucleus+ with your music library on a NAS. Where does MacOS come into this and prevent you playing music?

I have been running Catalina Beta since the first release, and the ONLY problem I have is that I can not have the Chrome browser running when Roon is running, or I get weird color bars across the Roon screen whenever the cursor leaves the borders, making it impossible to use. Simple solution, though. Just close Chrome. But, as I say, that is the only problem I have had using Roon on Catalina Beta.

Martin, I use the Roon App on my iMac to operate the system. I am assuming that my loss of access to my external drives after the Catalina upgrade relates to that upgrade.

So you’re using the TIDAL app. Okay, I understand now. Do you have a mobile phone you can use for control? You could be up and running again very quickly.

Thanks. I have an iPad and iPhone. The iPad has the Roon app but not the phone. Roon on the iPad has the same issue: it will access TIDAL but not the external drive library. Both the phone and iPad have the most recent IOS updates installed.

I use my iMac running Catalina to control the Roon Core running on my sonicTransporter i5.

Catalina is only a problem if your iMac is the a Roon Core. Otherwise, it is a non issue.

I’m thinking that you may have inadvertently setup your iMac as a core and aren’t using the Nucleus. As @Speed_Racer says the Catalina upgrade shouldn’t affect your setup.

Maybe the mods could move some of these posts to a support thread so we can get to the bottom of this and help you out.

1 Like

Yeah we know. Maybe they are busy trying to fix it.

@Quentin_in_FranCisco

I shifted my core to a Windows laptop and can still use the iMac as a remote. Works for now.

Apple is famous for screwing up perfectly good running software. Feel like I can speak to this with some authority since having had three iMacs desktops, seven iPads, and as many iPhones.

The PC world isn’t any better.