macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

People may have different reasons for an early upgrade. Some of us, firmly located in the Apple ecosystem, would want all their devices - iOS and MacOS - to work seamlessly, while taking advantage of some of the features that may be essential for some of us.
In any way, this misses the main point, stated here more than once: Roon is a premium service with a premium price tag and subscription model. It is Roon’s responsibility to make it work. (Or, at the very least, to offer individual apologies and rebates.)
BTW, several MacOS software developers sent their customers prior messages directly with updates about Catalina. Audirvana was one of those. Roon do not even indicate compatibility on their download page post factum.

10 Likes

Ok, but major upgrades still remain a case of Caveat Emptor. And doing them without a means to roll back is just not the way to do them.

Yes, Roon could have been more forthcoming in this case, but I don’t think >120 posts over a week’s time on this single subject are appropriate.

Quite frankly I have given up on any of these “premium” services to be anything approaching customer centric. They simply can’t afford it. If anything they are investor centric. In my view Roon is one of the better ones, namely through the use of this forum. The Roon developers are at least present here and if one exercises due diligence and looks for information (before doing a major upgrade for example), one usually finds it.
Try that with Office 365 or Windows in general. You’ll meet a wall of concrete.

2 Likes

It is not a good excuse for poor service IMO.

It was not an excuse. It was an explanation.

1 Like

I’m not affected as I run ROCK but I don’t understand why some keep defending roon here. Roon waited until after the final release before they started looking into any issues … again. This really is not the first time this happens. Every time there’s an OS update roon seems to be caught by surprise.They should be honest about it and inform their customers upfront. I’ve received several emails from roon with new partners and such but none whatsoever warning not to update to Catalina.

It’s been a full week since Catalina came out. An update to fix these issue is long overdue in my opinion.

4 Likes

Well I can’t use the media keys anymore on my macbook pro…so yes

This misses the ‘subscription’ point. I have a Qobuz subscription and a sizeable collection of LPs. That’s enough to fill my days with music. However, with subscription model, I am also paying for each of these days without Roon working as advertised.

If your Roon Core is ‘mission critical’ then in general don’t run it on a desktop OS. Run it on ROCK/MOCK or Nucleus.

If you have to use Windows or macos then exercise caution with updates/upgrades.

As it has been said many times, the real reason of frustration here is NOT the Roon Core incompatibility with the latest MacOS upgrade, it is the lack of communications and words of assurance from the Roonlabs management and support.

6 Likes

Day 8 and no fix!

These posts are not helpful, Bob.

I don’t think it is fair to blame Roon for the failures of Apple.

It doesn’t matter who broke it. Roon has to fix it.

2 Likes

Apple broke Roon?
-iTunes still runs on an external drive connected to USB on Catalina.

• this problem was reported by beta users on the Roon community a few months ago.
1 Like

Apple has the right to make things better and each 3rd party developer needs to either modify their software to make their app work or the 3rd party (Roon in this case) needs to let all of their customers know they have a problem and don’t upgrade to Catalina, which Roon didn’t do.

Every operating system needs to implement newer technology to move forward and each app developer needs to move forward too

Audirvana also runs well with my external drive…

Only they have communicated that they are aware of, and are working on, this issue.

1 Like

The day after the release of Catalina?

I refer you to my previous post.

Several threads refer to the ROCK/MOCK - can you tell me more and/or direct me to a web site?

Thank you