macOS High Sierra Roon Crash COULD NOT GET TARGETSITE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK Version 1.7 (build 571) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired endpoints / core
macOS Remote is wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Lots of audio devices.

Description Of Issue
Can reproduce 100% of time
macOS High Sierra on MPB 13" mid-2010 8GB RAM

1. Start Roon
  2. Run in Full Screen mode
  3. Click the search (magnifying glass)
  4. Leave search box open
  5. Move to another desktop (F3, 4-finger swipe, doesn’t matter how just move to another desktop)
  • Roon crashes
    07/29 20:40:22 Debug: render area size changed value: 1280x800
    07/29 20:40:22 Debug: render area size changed value: 1280x800
    07/29 20:40:25 Debug: render area size changed value: 1280x800
    07/29 20:40:25 Info: 
    Local Time:            07/29/2020 20:40:25 -07:00
    Roon Version:       1.7 (build 571) stable
    OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6
    Hardware Version:      MacBookPro7,1
    Mono Version:          5.12.0.309 (2018-02/39d89a335c8)

Application Domain:    Roon.exe
    Assembly Codebase:     file:///Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MonoBundle/Roon.exe
    Assembly Full Name:    Roon, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

CPU0 Description:      Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8800 @ 2.66GHz (64-bit)
    CPU0 Num Cores:        Physical: 2 Logical: 2

SCREEN0 Name:          69677632 (primary)SCREEN0 Bounds:        0,0 1280x800

--[ BROOSCRIPT EXCEPTION ]-------------------------------------------

--[ INNER EXCEPTION ]------------------------------------------------
       Inner Exception Source:      Roon.Broker.Concurrency
       Inner Exception Type:        System.InvalidOperationException
       Inner Exception Target Site: SharedObject`2.Read
       Inner Exception Message:     Attempted to Read() without access in Thread[Id=1, Name=]
      at System.Environment.get_StackTrace () [0x00000] in <71f4e3d7d65e42b0a699d02e59766d3c>:0 

--[ OUTER EXCEPTION ]------------------------------------------------
       Outer Exception Source:      
       Outer Exception Type:        Broo.BrooScriptException
       Outer Exception Target Site: COULD NOT GET TARGETSITE: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
       Outer Exception Message:     Exception in brooscript

I can upload the full log somewhere if needed.
Low priority but wanted to get it logged.

Hello @ipeverywhere, and thanks for your report! Could you please upload that log here? Thanks! Also,

1. What resolution settings do you have set up on your laptop? Can you please share a screenshot of the info?
  2. Are you using any display attached to the laptop or using the built-in display?
  3. What are your network details? Can you please provide the model/manufacturer?
  4. Are you resizing the app at all when this issue occurs? If you try to open Roon in full screen mode, does the issue still occur?

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 21.43.29
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 21.43.57

1. Built-in display / LCD. No external monitor.

2. Core and endpoint are hardwired via UBNT switches. MBP connects to Unifi AP AC Pro on other side of wall. Everything is on same network / broadcast domain no router between Core, endpoint, MBP/Remote. Endpoint is connected to a Switch 8 PoE (US-8). Core, AP, and Switch 8 are plugged into the same 24-port switch model US-24-250W.

3. This occurred while in full screen mode. I did not test outside of full screen mode as on this laptop I only utilize multiple desktops for apps which are in full screen mode.

Thanks!

Hello @ipeverywhere, and thanks for the info! I spoke with the team about this issue and we tried to reproduce on our own gear, but were unable to. The team did make me aware that your mac doesn’t meet our recommended minimum hardware. Are you seeing this issue on other devices?

I am not seeing this on other devices. Yes, it’s an old MBP repurposed to, basically, just a remote at this point. I will use it until it completely fails. Appreciate your team looking into it. Go ahead and close the inquiry / ticket unless there are more details I can provide.

1 Like