Make Focus an "OR" operation instead of "AND"

@paulgh gave a very good suggestion. If we could do so, it would be great.

Has this been resolved in the meantime, can you adjust it again?

Yes, it now works - after the update I can see and adjust all setting on Windows 10 running on a german system

I can empathize with the OR function breaking. For 2 years I’ve had to do this to get AND working. And it was painful…

I grabbed this a long time ago from the forums. So the credit for coming up with this solution is not mine…

Not as simple, but it can be done. It relies on the fact that combining a tag with a negated tag uses AND logic.

So, to produce tag1 AND tag2:

Focus on tag1.
Invert (tap the green plus to turn it to red minus)
select all, 3 dots edit > add to tag > new tag. Name it not-tag1 (for instance)

Reset
Focus on not-tag1
invert
Now the magic…
Also Focus on tag2.

voilà

You might want to bookmark final result.

It would be amazing if we could have both options.

2 Likes

And then Roon decided to defy that convention and make right-click do something completely different. :rofl:

The point was, Windows no longer has 97% market share.
iOS and Android are both bigger.
And the web is muuuch bigger.
And consequently, Microsoft products make very little use of right click.

Right click is over.

I was just being flippant.

No change, still doesn’t work as before.

1 Like

Make Focus an “OR” operation instead of “AND”

This is illogical proposition - the AND logical operator is definitely better here then OR.

2 Likes

It’s not a matter of AND or OR being better, they do different things. The switch from OR to AND broke a lot of folks bookmarks, but obviously provided functionality others were missing. Both have use cases inside Roon, which is why folks are asking Roon to offer both operators.

13 Likes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS 11.2.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

No networking in question, core macOS machine has direct attached storage and works as main endpoint.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB Denafrips Ares II

Description Of Issue

Please check the screen recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slFdABzFM4k&feature=youtu.be

Filters configured as bookmarks are not working showing 0 results.
It kind of does the filtering then show nothing.

1 Like
1 Like

@support that’s no bueno…

so now I just can’t filter my music… ??? this is what I use always to filter… where is the diversity Roon does offer? what sense does it make been able to select ONLY one genre? this HAS TO BE A BUG!!!

so focus is now broken… now WHAT? waiting 1 or 2 months for a new release as Roon is only updated every 1 or 2 months?

just can’t… 1 out of 2467 come on… I must have at least 100…
Please fix this @mike @support this has a huge impact on platform usability.

1 Like

They changed the focus so with multiple groups it’s subtractive (only songs with all the common tags) instead of additive: it now works on an AND command instead of an OR command as it did previously.
There’s a bit of a clunky workarond using what Roon calls “tags” (not the metatags inside your files) - see your menu and settings. It’s described elsewhere on the site.

In the meantime I suggest everyone flag this @support and ask for 2 things:
to add an option for an OR command back in
to publicize how to setup a focus/bookmark that’s additive - Roon didn’t do this before breaking the previous bookmarks and focus groups from 1.7

Example: I have about 40 genres, with only 3 main ones connected to Jazz. Why can’t I just make a group of those 3 genres for bookmarking if I want to listen only to Jazz, and have all my Jazz albums included? This should be an easy process, not something sort of difficult and clunky like it is now.

look what I have got now:

I had the same thing happen yesterday. A short time later, is was working again.

Thanks.
A couple of comments to the Roon team about this:

I invested several hours re-doing my focus/bookmarks through tags after the update. Would never have figured out how to do it without help from some people on the forum.

I now understand why you made the change. But this is the kind of thing that should have been anticipated before the release. At the very least, users should have been made aware of it and directions for a fix/workaround posted.

This incident leads me to the conclusion that you guys were too involved in all the “cool” new things you did in 1.8, and in doing PR for them, and didn’t think through what the changes would mean for existing users.
I’m pretty sure a lot of existing users were using the focus/bookmark function. From their point of view 1.8 broke that feature. I understand that at Roon you might see it differently, but it reveals a bit of a blind spot on the part of Roon that I suggest you address in future releases.

I do appreciate 1.8 and am enjoying using it now that I’ve fixed my focus/bookmarks.

5 Likes