Making a QNAP even faster

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have a quite small library compared to others here. So if I’d say it is running very great and fast on my side, it might be different for people with a large/huge library.

Do you know if Airsonos reduces the source audio quality in any way ?. Such as reducing redbook FLAC to 320 kbps ?. If not, then that’s a fantastic solution!.

As far as I know, AirSonos will receive an ALAC (lossless) stream (due to AirPlay specifications) and forward it to the Sonos speakers. AirSonos does not transcode, but I will verify that again.

Much appreciated! Will be nice to find out.

If the AirSonos function emulates an AirPort Express the stream will deffo be in 16/44.1 ALAC, if it emulates an AppleTV the stream will be in 16/48khz AAC at an unknown kbps bitrate.
For audio use, the AppleTV and emulators are more or less useless if have half a hearing… :wink:

Airsonos absolutely does transcode, and it does it at pretty poor quality.

I have written about it at the link below, with references to the source code so you can verify.

I have a Noctua NF-S12A PWM (120mm) in my QNAP now.

I chose the 4790T because of its power specs, as my QNAP is running 24/7. :slight_smile:
It is working very well!

1 Like

Christopher when you installed the 4790T did you install a fan on the CPU?

I used the standard heatsink that was used with the i3 processor. I do not think it requires an additional fan, as the current 4790T drains less power. The cpu temperature also seems ok (according to the QNAP System Status). I think it is even lower now…

Would love to try this but am not a leading electronics engineer…ahem. I usually muddle through somehow!

Assigning no responsibility whatsoever is there a genuine step by step guide explaining there and back how to upgrade the CPU in a TVS-471?

(in German)
http://www.meintechblog.de/2013/10/pimp-my-qnap-ts-x70-i7-3770t-und-16gb-ram/26/
here are some links that helped me:

for a QNAP TS 870:

for a TVS-871 (in korean):
http://www.2cpu.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=nas&wr_id=6867

youtube video for TS-870:

for TS-470:
http://jojetski.com/upgrading_the_qnap_ts-470_nas.html

this thread on the snap forum was also very helpful:

2 Likes

I am pretty good with disassembly however after watching the you tube video I am cured from wanting to do this upgrade…for now. Looks very complex and just too many screws. I would certainly mess this up as Murphy lives here.

Yes, it involves many screws. I used a sheet of paper (as recommended in qnap forum) with a draft drawing where the screw was sitting before. It was not hard to do the upgrade, but you should bring some time when you do it and not rush through it.

2 Likes

I love to tinker and would love to do this upgrade. I think I am going to wait until I need it rather than just want it. Thanks for all the links and videos.

Thank you sir I will review, translate and see if this is remotely feasible

Many thanks to @crieke for posting this initially!
I finally found a suitable processor for my QNAP TS-470 Pro in the form of an Intel i5 3470T. I wanted to lower power consumption and heat first and foremost. Like Crieke my NAS runs 24/7 with Roon immediately available to my Bridges so there are substantial winnings to be had in that department.

Now, i didnt take pictures before, so this after-work will have to do:

It looks like i struck gold when i found the i5 3470T as it is a 35W TDP rather than the i3 3220 with its 55W TDP. Performance should be similar or slightly better even when considering the almost half’ed power consumption.

Very pleased with an hour of tinkerings worth of results!

PS:
I am running QNAP firmware 4.2.1 as i dont want to lose Twonky. I still use it for both music playback and as a photo-library. (dont ask! ;))
Any ideas what you could expect if i went for a later, fully 64bit compliant version? (sacrificing my valued Twonky)

2 Likes

You’re missing some pretty significant security updates. Be careful.

1 Like

Appreciate the concern Mark, but i have pretty strict firewall rules and no cloud-services active.
I did however decide to upgrade so now i am running 4.3.3. Unfortunately i also changed disks to three 3Tb Seagate Constellation E.2 in a RAID0 stripe set so any performance changes are hard to track.

The NAS is pretty impressive as a storage unit and as i was restoring its contents i saw average file write performance of about 70MB/second over all of my files.
Today i am copying movies from it and max out on 1.000Kbps due to the targets network limits.

What exactly should be the problem with Twonky and qts 4.3.3 ?
I am running 869pro and using twonky for upnp capable tv and it works still the same with 4.3.3 :slight_smile:

According to the release notes of the last update (build 4.3.3.0299), they just added it for certain models again:

2 Likes