Manage Roon clients volume from phone (e.g. iphone) hardware volume buttons

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon build number: Package Version RoonServer_Synology_x86_64_2018-03-07

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

(not related to suggested feature improvement)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• iPhone essentially used as remote controle
  • Yamaha CD-NT670
  • Yamaha WX-010

Description Of Issue

Issue: Modifying sound volume can take a few clicks and time, at least when managed from Roon client on phone (iPhone in my case).
Suggested improvement: Two very usefull features that I have seen on other audio solutions like DS Audio from Synology and were very efficient:

Feature 1) keep basic features of the audio/music app displayed on iPhone screen when the phone is locked. The phone screen can turn off, but when clicking on any button to turn on screen (without unlocking the phone) the music app is displayed. This is not the default audio app screen but a very basic one with basic music features (play, pause, next, name of song). I guess this a feature provided by Apple that music applications developpers can benefit from
=> a counter measure I am using is asking roon app to keep iPhone stay alive and not lock but it consumes significant phone battery very quickly

Feature 2) enable the music volume for all players at the same time to be controlled also by the physical volume buttons of the iphone. It is possible this feature automatically comes with feature 1 above mentioned

May I ask if these features have already been considered in the past, and if there is a chance they can be implemented in the future?
As mentionned above these are very efficient features to augment end-user experience on phones nowadays often used as remote controls

Thanks again for your service

2 Likes

Any reply from Roon team about this request for this very useful and simple feature?
Please Let me know if this was not 100% clear. I can also provide screenshots if it helps

Using iPhone hardware buttons to control volume would be awesome and especially helpful when iPhone is in locked mode, so that one can change the volume quickly and easily. Furthermore it would be great to see what is being played on the locked screen, similar to when playing music using the apple music app.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.