Manual Backup as Roon Backup fails

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac mini 2011, Mac OS 10.13

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Hi all. I need to reinstall my OS on my core as it’s getting funky.

I’d like to keep my Roon database intact as you can imagine, and would normally use Roon’s backup feature however this fails immediately, regardless of the backup location I choose.

Can I just copy the Roon database folder (while Roon Server is closed of course) and import this from a fresh install?

Have you tried backing up to an attached USB HDD?

Yes, sure have. In fact I’m trying to troubleshoot the failure now so I don’t end up with a corrupt database that can’t be restored.
Just attempted a backup to an external USB HDD, freshly formatted and. Here’s what I think is the pertinent line from the Roon Server logs after doing this:

08/31 09:31:51 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: Spare, WD My Passport 070A Media : /Roon Backup/RoonBackups: Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Media ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Transport ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Misc ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "/Users/jk/Library/RoonServer/Settings/cast_17014e2bbbbedb78295c333f12f816a6a568_product_override"

Hello @Astr0b0y, and thanks for your report! So you’ve tried backing up locally and tried on a USB so far? Has the backup feature been working until recently or have you not made a backup in a while? Also, could you please try a backup one more time to your USB and reply here with a timestamp of when you do? I’d like to enable diagnostics for your account and get a report to our QA team. Thanks!

Hi @nuwriy. Backup had been working (to an external USB drive) as far as I know up until about a week ago.
Because I was having overall system issues, I needed to go ahead and reinstall the OS and start again. Luckily, my manual back process (simply copy the Roon Server folder) worked just fine.
With the fresh install, Roon backup is now working again.

Hello @Astr0b0y, awesome news! Please let me know if you have any further issues with backups, happy to help!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.