Many pops and clicks [Resolved - Switched Router to 5ghz Network]

@Eric,

This report is an additional (adding to others seen in these forums) report of “clicks and pops” heard when playing back from Roon. I hope this report will be valuable adding to those already out there as I’ve done some A/B testing which may prove probative.

First, the basic case that exhibits the problem:

Playback of a 192/24 FLAC file to endpoint #1 (see config below for details) exhibits clicks and pops behavior. In this test case, all DSP is off and there is no change in sample rate or bit depth – just straight to the endpoint as confirmed by the Roon app.

For testing, I used a recording purchased from HDTracks: Torval Toren – Durufle & Dupre: Organ Music. I selected this as my standard test piece as the periods of relative silence make it easy to quickly detect the problem. I have of course verified it on several other recordings as well.

From this basic case, here are variations and the results:

1. Same file played to same endpoint via Bluesound App has no clicks or pops. Subjectively, the sound is SO much better, like a veil has been lifted – not just clicks and pops cleanup.
  2. Same file played to endpoints #2 and #3, clicks and pops cannot be heard, but similarly, the SQ is remarkably different when played through Bluesound app, like a veil being lifted. The difference is so great as to being well beyond the subjective audiophile opinion zone (in my opinion – lol).
  3. Same file played to endpoint #1, however, device settings changed to max sample rate of 48K. Clicks and pops greatly diminished, but not entirely gone.

Please note, that I have also filed a report on this site related to Bluesound Node2 playback ceasing.

In working with Bluesound and sending them the logs from the Node2, they say they can see the Node2 experiencing issues (dropout reports) when playback is from Roon – further, these issues eventually crash the unit and cause a hard reboot. Clearly not as designed.

I hope this data helps track down the mystery.

Thanks.

My Configuration:
Synology 3615 XS+ running Roon Core on SSD, 16GB of Memory
3 Bluesound Node2 Endpoints – all physically wired to router – no Wireless connection

• #1 Bluesound Node2 connected to DAC via Coax out
  • #2 Bluesound Node2 connected to headphone amp via RCA analog out
  • #3 Bluesound Node2 connected to powered speakers via RCA analog out
    Control of playback from iPhone and iPads
    Netgear Nighthawk R9000 Router (X10)
    Current SW/FW on all systems
    Music Library = ~6500 Albums / ~90K Tracks, Redbook FLAC, HiRez FLAC, DxD and DSD
    Active Tidal subscription with some Tidal albums added to library (<100 Tidal Albums in library)