Mapping of remixers from own tags

@brian : First of all let me say that if there was no “Roon Experience” everything would be much easier so you might re-think…

…haha, ok forget that

Let’s get back serious. What I want to say with this is that your plans have really demanding and tricky challenges.

So here are my questions, thoughts, answers on this

This sounds really great.
So will we be able to select the tag-names we used and map them to the corresponding fields that you open for using local metadata? I think this will be necessary as people are using custom-tags, if there were just certain tag names mapped hardcoded this might get problematic.

I agree with you I think no one will use such tags with garbage in it.
Same question as for the previous section applies of course. I know of people using catalog#, catalogno, catalognumber etc. for instance.

Yes this was really not the best way of handling it but from what I have seen until now for track artists and composers this is way better. Others also confirmed that I read.

I see the difficulty here. And you really have the problem of misspellings problem from both sides, from the user and from the metadata-providers at least regarding track names. Didn’t check that for composers or artists until now.

I really see a problem child here. It’s called artist name variation. Especially in electronic music a lot of artists, and so also remixers, use artist name variations. In order to match that up correctly, also from a more general point of view it really depends on what the metadata-provider delivers and if this is right. In Discogs API for instance you have the possibility to somehow dissolve artist name variations.
That means if in the track credits the artist is CL2 you get back Chris Liebing instead. You can do that but this is not what is written as track artist on the album then. So if you want to mirror the credits of your album you have to use the artist name variations. Will these be handled as own artists then?

As far as I understood this process of checking against the provider and deciding is only valid if we don’t use the future “prefer local metadata” functionality, right? Will there ever be a match to your ID’d artists than if I prefer to use my artist tags??

I completely agree with you here that it should not be in the “Production” category, especially given your examples which are real production tasks/jobs.
I also see your problem creating a new category, special code has to be added everywhere you work with the categories.
So this is really a good question. Regarding the composer and performer categories. Are there any other roles in there other than “Composer” or “Performer”? And you just wrote in another post when they’re displayed and when not

because I think a remixer should always be displayed if it is a remix and the information is there. Sure one can write this info also in the trackname, but then there will be no way at all to have a roon-like experience with that.