Marantz NA8005 as an endpoint [Answered]

Morning,

My Marantz NA8005 is not showing up as an endpoint in my configuration.
Yes, I can access it by using airplay, but due to the limitations of airplay that’s not the connection I’am aiming for.

My setup:
Marantz SR7005 receiver
Marantz NA8005 network player, wired network connection
Synology 214 play NAS, wired network connection. Hosting music files
HP-Z400 workstation, wired network connection. Hosting Roon

Please your comments,

Edgar

Hi @Edgar_Zimmermann ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us.

We try handle any support related questions out on the forum so other users have access to any troubleshooting tips or advice that may be useful should a similar problem come up. Would you mind if I made this a public topic and we can start trying to figure out what is going here in your setup?

-Eric

Hello Eric,

No problem at all.
New here, so trying to figure out what the best way is.
In addition to my former email:

Router: Netgear R7000

Regards,
Edgar

Thanks @Edgar_Zimmermann!

Unfortunately since Roon does not support UPnP, for now your only option with that network player is going to be Airplay. There are many other network bridges that are Roon Ready that may work with the NA8005 – you can find a full list of Roon Ready devices on our "“Knowledge base”.

While I can’t comment on an future partnerships, if you’re interested in using the Marantz NA8005 as a Roon Ready device, I would recommend contacting Marantz and letting them know!

Thanks
-Eric

1 Like

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your (for me a little disappointing) answer.

I’ll certainly contact Marantz for their comment on this.
For now, a possible solution could be installing a PI running ROON bridge an connected to the NA8005 through USB? That would give the opportunity to stream in the highest quality possible, above airplay quality?

Regards,
Edgar

Hi @Edgar_Zimmermann — There are a few option that are possible to achieve what you want.

Installing Roon bridge on a RPi is a common choice by many of our users. Another solution, that you could consider, is one of the products created by Sonore. I have a MicroRendu in my home and have had nothing but a positive experience with the device.

-Eric

Hello Eric,

Once again thanks for your reply.

I’ll have a good thought about what to do next and consider some options:

1. installing a RPI as bridge
  2. installing an Mac mini, hosting ROON server and directly connected to my NA8005
  3. installing a MicroRendu ( requires some budget :slight_smile: )
  4. exchange the NA8005 for a Bluesound Note 2

What would be your suggestion (or anyone else on the forum) to go for?

Regards,
Edgar

In general, you will achieve better results with an endpoint separated from the Core/Roonserver. Roon’s architecture is built around the idea of the Core doing the heavy lifting well away from your listening space, while lightweight endpoints connect to you audio system(s).

A Pi (or other SBC) requires a bit of handiwork, but makes for a nice and cost-effective little bridge. The MicroRendu is a single purpose device (ethernet in, USB-to-DAC out) that is built to do that one thing exceptionally well. A go-between is the SonicOrbiter SE, which is basically a Cubox-i running the same software as the MicroRendu does and works out of the box.

I quite like the Node 2 (it is a true Swiss army knife for audio, offering a nice bag of tricks and a very well executed RoonReady implementation). You may want to listen to one side-by-side to the NA8005 though to see how the two DACs/audio outputs compare.