Marked MQA encoded album is actually not... so much for the authentication component

Does Tidal mark an MQA album just through some metadata entry? Here is a screen capture of The Very Best of Talk Talk album which claims to be MQA, but is in fact not and same thing in the Tidal desktop app, just plays as HIFI… so much for authentication I guess.

The tracks April 5th, John Cope, Wealth and Time it’s Time are MQA.

If at least one track is MQA, then the album will be marked MQA.

Cheers, Greg

Seems kind of a weird thing for albums to have MQA and non-MQA tracks in them, you would think an album would want a consistent mastering and encode for the complete album.

Yeah, I found the same thing with Gary Moore, Blues and Beyond.

Edit: actually, both albums are Compilations.

Cheers, Greg

The same with this ‘Faces’ compilation album. The Main album tracks are MQA, the outtakes and extras are not and the BBC recordings are not available on Tidal.

MQA authenticates each track whilst decoding the stream… there is no reliance on metadata tags.

This is why MQA insist that decoders indicate this status to the user.

Thanks. I still find it weird that they can label a whole album as MQA (in Roon / Tidal) when only in fact only a few songs on an album are.

I actually don’t see the point why a label would put MQA encoded songs on an album when the great majority of tracks are still the 16/44.1 redbook versions.

I agree, better to delay, put the work in and then release an all MQA version.

REVENUE, and they don’t have to pay Mugabe