Masters available on Tidal iOS

I didn’t see this screenshot in your posts so I am sharing it. I have downloaded Masters but they didnt unfold. I deleted them from my iphone and redownloaded them after I fixed this setting.

They showed as Masters after that.

Hi @PKarp

I just now saw your reply. Sorry I didn’t get to it sooner.

My iPhone is a US version. As are my other iDevices. TIDAL hasn’t responded to my latest request for information, so I think they are tired of my whining. :slight_smile: The “hassle factor” with TIDAL MQA on my setup was really the deciding factor in my switch to Qobuz.

There are only about a half-dozen important-to-me albums that I can stream on TIDAL that don’t exist on Qobuz, and that aren’t available for digital download purchase on any of the usual sites. It’s rumored that Qobuz will be adding more content as their apps and service come out of beta in the US, so hopefully that number will decrease in the near future.

I hope you get your issue sorted soon; I know how frustrating it is!

Cheers.

Any updates on this? From reading around it seems the explorer 2 cannot render an unfolded file so can only light the mqa light on the original file.

So why does Chris get the blue light when he sets it to Hifi? Probably he then gets to stream the masters file as is without unfolding.

Chris, can you leave it in Hifi and visit different mqa albums and it continues working in mqa mode? Try many different albums and let us know what works so we can try it. If any don’t work please mention that too.

Jeff as well as it seems everyone else other than Chris, doesn’t get the mqa light on the same setup. I wonder if tidal in USA sends the cd album over when in hifi mode even if it’s a masters album selected, while in the UK they continue sending the mqa version. That would explain it. We don’t have more testers to see if UK vs USA tidal is the difference.

I will try this when I get a moment.

These pics show it working in practice.

Hi, Beng. My understanding of English is weak, I can contribute with some experience that I am going through with the Mqa tidal x explorer 2 in Brazil. I do not know if you will understand my explanation by the translator

one led green + white + white = 172/192 khz / 24 bit ?

1 Like

Well what do you know. Tried it today with version 2.7.4 build 1946 and setting it in hifi mode the meridian explorer 2 decodes mqa. Sweet!

1 Like

Maybe I spoke too soon. It only works on some albums and not others. Not sure why yet. I could have sworn yesterday it worked on all 10 albums I clicked on. But today it seems to only work on some.

Ok I figured it out. Albums based on a 44.1khz sample rate work, ones based on 48khz sample rate do not work.

Try it out yourself. If you get both to work in the tidal app let me know.

-Dido - still on my mind - 44.1khz. Works with MQA light
-Norah Jones - begin again - 48khz. No MQA light

Seems like tidal does not output bit perfect 48khz. Not sure if it resamples it to 44.1 kHz or used a different file when hifi quality is selected for an mqa album that is 48khz based.

Yes . Here it has the same condition. This discovery is very interesting.
Note on the iphone when the master puts lights up two leds white when you play the 48khz title.
The first led should be green or blue if master produced 44 or 48 kHz

I do not swallow these conditions in the cell phone to hifi to hear mqa in explorer 2

I’m doing more tests here.

Does not Mqa require more data?