Max PCM Rate plays no sound

I’ve noticed that when I choose Max PCM Rate or Power of 2, some songs have no sound whereas others do even though the song is playing. If I choose For Compatability Only then there is always sound.

Please could someone explain why this is the case and what each setting is actually doing when implemented.

Apologies if the above is a daft question but this is all new to me any I’m just trying to get my head around it all.

Max PCM Rate = Up/down-sample to the maximum sample rate supported by the DAC (as configured in device setup if applicable)
If the DAC supports max. 192 kHz, all is up/down-sampled to 192 kHz

Max PCM Rate (Power of 2) = Up/down-sample to the maximum power of 2 sample rate supported by the DAC (as configured in device setup if applicable)
If the DAC supports max. 192 khz, source 44,1 kHz x 2 x 2 = 176.4 kHz, source 48 kHz x2 x2 = 192 kHz and source 384 kHz / 2 = 192 kHz

For Compatibility Only = If the DAC supports the source sample-rate, play at this rate else down-sample to the maximum supported sample-rate
If the DAC supports max. 192 khz, source 44,1 kHz = 44.1 kHz, source 48 kHz = 48 kHz and source 384 kHz / 2 = 192 kHz

• Wrong settings in device setup?
  • A specific sample-rate is not supported by your DAC (176.4 kHz is sometimes problematic).

Thanks a lot for that, well explained. It makes senses now.

I’ll take a look at settings tomorrow and see what I can sort out.

Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Craig808,

I hope @BlackJack’s explanation helped here, but if you want to learn more, we have quite a bit of info on our DSP Engine Documentation regarding what DSP operations you can make with Roon. There’s also quite a few other Roon articles on our Knowledge Base, these are very helpful if you are just getting started with Roon!

Hi

Thanks for that. I’ve just had a quick browse and there’s plenty of great info in there.

I’ve bookmarked it and will work my way through the various topics.

Many thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.