Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

There needs to be some communication on this issue, even if it’s just a status update. I’ve practically given up on ever seeing this fixed. I had hoped that if the NAIM app was able to start music on the Mu-so at correct volume, then this could be achieved in ROON too.

What drives me nuts is both Naim and Roon are premium products I paid for but neither will bite the bullet and make this work. The market has spoken, chasing Sonos seems more important than helping core customer base with difficult issues.

1 Like

So Roon arent responding either? Thats poor.

Thank god I still have a fairly big window in my thirty days for a refund if this is how they are treating the matter.

This is becoming a price example of two premium companies not supporting their customers. Premium is just that to me, premium price, premium service…

I might see if I can get the NAIM CEO email address.

2 Likes

If anyone uses Linked In

https://www.linkedin.com/in/charliehenderson/

Roon has been far more responsive than NAIM, but it is a Naim issue, they clearly aren’t willing to fix. I fully agree on paying premium price for premium service. Roon could choose to fix this in their code to work around Naim in my opinion as a long time techie, but that’d also set a bad precedent and potentially introduce other complexities into how they work with other devices.

I reported this bug and have been waiting for improvement for well over a year. Heard a lot from Roon, not a peep from Naim.

Hello @nate_lynch,

We attempted to fix this behavior with an update to the Roon client pushed in early May. While some users reported an improvement in certain situations, ultimately the patch did not resolve the issue.

We then determined in collaboration with the Naim technical team that this can only be resolved with an update to the Mu-so firmware.

It should be noted that this issue arose after an update to the Mu-so firmware. Our AirPlay implementation continues to work well with all other devices in the AirPlay ecosystem (sans one other device using a network module from the same manufacturer as the Mu-so).

We remain ready and willing to assist Naim in getting this issue resolved as soon as possible.

-John

I can confirm that there was a marked improvement after the May update but unfortunately the the unpredictability of the “fix” continues to be an issue.

Christ, what it do before the update?

Happened every time, for me, but now, since May, around 50% of the time :roll_eyes:

Oh , mine happens every time on all Muso’s…all firmwares up to date

Naim have confirmed, to me, that there is a problem with their firmware. They use 3rd party developers for some aspects of it’s production but the developers have had issues with Airplay implementation. As a result the developers passed the problem back to Naim a few weeks ago. The Naim software team are now looking at introducing a fix (work around) to resolve the issue but it doesn’t appear to be in much of a hurry.

1 Like

Is this recent info Paul?

Received the information from Naim last week.

1 Like

So nothing committing to the fix :frowning:

I’ve spoke to five people now independently - non have had a reply from Naim regarding the issue.

I was fortunate enough to assist Naim by providing information direct to Naim earlier in the year so I contact their Software Director occasionally for “news” rather than enquiring via the public support contacts.

After weeks of pestering Naim, the outcome is, they arent and probably won’t be doing a thing about this issue.

So thats me out of ever buying Naim again thats for sure.

First email:

“Only Mu-so and Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation - along with other new-platform Naim products – are officially certified as Roon Ready. Roon availability on earlier-generation products is based on a Roon-derived software workaround that we endeavour to maintain, but which due to resource restrictions is not a priority development area for us at this time.”

Second follow up after I questions some of that statement;

'Hi, this has already been esculated internaly. The fact is we just do not have the people in our software development team to undertake the task of doing this job at the moment. This is not to say that this situation may not change in the future.

The original Muso was never Roon compatible. This was something we found we could add by some “workaround” in the software. With the change by Roon this stopped working. Any new “workaround” will involve some complexity.

I guess if we had not added Roon to the original Muso. We would not be in this situation. So no idea of timescale.

Not the answer you had hoped for. But it has as I said been internally escalated. ’

So reading the responses it would seem that there was a ‘Roon derived software workaround’ that meant that this could work and there has been a ‘change made by Roon’ that has broken it. Hardly seems Naim’s fault although it would appear that they have made some attempts to help fix the issue.

I suspect there are some constraints in what can be changed at Naims end as the Muso’s are Apple Certified and the process of making changes to Airplay support will require Naim to still comply with these certifications.

I don’t think there was ever a time when the units worked though?

I don’t know a whole lot about writing code, but I really cannot see why this is such a complicated problem to fix, I think in reality, Naim dont want to invest in any work to it so that one would need to buy their Roon Ready Muso 2’s. Stuff the people that supported and bought the product in the first place, we just want the new money.

This is just Airplay I may add, i am not expecting it to be fully Roon Ready, I know they want to keep that for their new customers and the Muso 2’s, I just want it to turn on without foing to full volume! Its not a lot to ask.

Just to add, there have been other messages sent to others affected by this that contradict this response as well.

The problem started with the Roon update, it worked fine before, look back from the start of the thread.

As I understand it, that is not the case.
AirPlay2 is supported by Roon as standard and hence compatible with the Roon software environment. MuSo & MuSoQB both functioned perfectly until a firmware update was provided by Naim. It is worth noting that other AirPlay2 devices do not suffer from this problem.
After much discussion and investigation between Naim & their software developers, a “firmware bug fix” is unlikely to happen.
Naim’s Software Director told me that he is looking at providing a “dirty fix” such as sending volume control instructions when receiving initialise instructions from Roon which will overcome the maximum volume issue.
This is, it appears, a low priority job and no timescales for the implementation of a fix have been offered. Having accepted the need to provide a solution suggests that Naim will eventually provide the necessary fix.
Naim does appear to be providing different information from different areas of their business but I am optimistic of a resolution.
This doesn’t do Naim’s reputation any good but certainly, as it stands, does not reflect negatively on the Roon software. What does not reflect well for Roon is their communication on this, and many other issues raised in the community.

Regards.