Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

a first, very quick, response from Charlie Henderson. Afraid it is not encouraging but am following up:

Hi Oscar, thank you for contacting me directly, I’m absolutely aware of the situation and have already investigated. The situation arises from Roon seeking to claim that Mu-so and QB Gen 1 are ‘Roon compliant’ which they are currently not. I would urge you to contact Roon themselves as this not something we have ever claimed support for and we share your frustration. Thanks Charlie

On face value the same thing about ‘Roon compliant’ again. I really hoped that at least the discussion would have shifted to both sides’ implementation of AirPlay.

Why exactly to they keep quoting or believing this is a Roon ‘compliant’ issue and not Airplay? Im baffled. This is the problem with eMails , because he wouldn’t say that to your face, being that he knows it is not a compliance issue and is merely trying to whitewash the situation with Trump style information.

However, giving them some benefit of the doubt…At least they are responding, Roon havent said a word have they?

Roon: Tell Naim to talk to us

Naim: Tell Roon to talk to us

Its like the whole ‘will you ask her to get off with me’ playground banter, the stuff you did when you wearnt a grown up and then just asked the girl for a kiss.

i.e Roon/Naim why not pick up the phone and be grown ups? especially you Roon @support , you are just hiding from this, or thats how it looks.

:grinning:

No, not for the last four / five weeks or so. It does worry me, but it is not completely a-typical.

Meanwhile my feeble attempt to keep things going on LinkedIn with Charlie Henderson:

Hello Charlie, Thanks for responding so quickly. But please look again - Roon has to my knowledge never made this claim, and if so I am not relying on it. I am, like all the affected users, using Airplay (Not Airplay2, not RAAT) so ‘Roon Ready’ or ‘Roon Compliant’ doesn’t come into it. Customers have made this point multiple times, and are never getting a response to it, some say they get stone-walled after pointing it out. I am in no situation to understand the intricacies of Airplay, but either the Muso’s Airplay implementation is faulty, or Roon’s, or the Airplay protocol is somehow deficient in allowing this level of incompatibility. Is your understanding that Airplay streams from Roon are not protocol - compliant? If so this should be out in the open and I would be one the very first to address this with Roon. Hopefully you can clarify matters - currently the majority of well-intended customers believes that Naim representative are giving them the run-around with vague wordings and references to ‘Roon compliance’ which should really have nothing to do with this problem. I still hope this can be resolved. Both Roon and Naim reps have made recent statements that they are happy to collaborate to resolve this, but there is zero evidence and it starts to look like finger pointing with customer left high and dry. Thanks again for your willingness to look into this, much appreciated. Oscar

My working assumption is that if this leads to silence, the ‘Roon compliant’ line from Naim is the agreed corporate answer. Not much more to say.

1 Like

I think you are probably dead right there. You’re addressing it better than me though to keep him talking, so I hope he will continue engaging.

I’ve began formulating my own emails to Charlie too. Will post any replies I get.

The real issue in the playground, for me, always was ’ Who Started This!’ (not ‘who will solve this’!) followed by the headmaster dragging me away by my :ear:. Serious ear-ringing for days is the common thread, clearly. :rofl:

1 Like

I reckon you need to start some trouble then :slight_smile:

Anyone for a roadtrip to Salisbury?

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, I am based in Exeter - but living a car-free existence :thinking:

You can take the bus then :slight_smile: Muso in your backpack as Naim clearly need a demonstration of the issue.

1 Like

A local man, I’m in Honiton :+1:t3:

1 Like

Not yet jumping on the bus. I will let it play out a bit more and give Roon a chance to chip in.

Meanwhile latest from Charlie Henderson. Glass half full me says ‘much better than silence’, half empty says ‘still bouncing’.

Hi Oscar,
I can appreciate how frustrating this is and I really appreciate you bringing it my attention. I’ve also made sure that the VerVent CEO is aware, and have also contacted the Roon CEO to escalate this to the highest levels to try and support you and your fellow users with this.
Cheers
Charlie

2 Likes

Thats probably the most promising email throughout this whole debarkle (sad considering its not actually doing ‘anything’ physical but still)…only time will tell I guess. It cant take more than a couple of days for that to happen, and less time for Roon @support to make a comment about how to move forward.

Kudos to you Ozzie!

1 Like

Ozzie, as you are making some progress, I was dealing with Steve Harris, Software Director, at Naim and he voiced a work around. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a response from an email I posted to him two weeks ago!!

PHone up Naim and ask to speak to him. I bet he doesent spin the ‘NAIM’ PR line then :slight_smile:

First let me say that apart from being an owner of a high end Naim system, I have no other connection with Naim and accordingly I have no ‘insider knowledge’. I am also a lifetime Roon subscriber.

Having experienced the excellent levels of Naim customer service for in excess of 30 years, I find the assumptions and subsequent conclusions being voiced on this thread surprising to say the least. I also note the silence from Roon on the issue.

As it happens I AirPlay stream via Roon to a Muso1 and have had this issue once. Adjusting the volume level via the Naim app sorted it but maybe I was just lucky.

This has been noted more than once, however what is most notable is that Roon @support & Naim don’t appear to be talking to each other.
Naim & Roon are leaving it to end users to do all the chasing with no progress so far.
It quite a shameful state of affairs.

The Customer service has been atrocious from both sides @Trevor_Clarke.

The issue you have with your Muso is permanent currently. You can of course set the maximum volume level in your Naim App, but thats in inferior fix in my opinion.

This ‘broke’ when NAIM released a software update.

I started a new thread with Roon Support to discuss this issue, but again, they gave been silent on that one too.

Do you mean the software update to Airplay2?

So by your logic, Naim should not have updated their product to the latest Airplay iteration because Roon couldn’t cope with it?

Really?

Hello Trevor, very good to get some fresh input on this thread, and a different perspective with regard to Naim.
I will not hold it against you if you haven’t gone through every post on this thread - it’s rather long!

But having just cast an eye over it (again), I don’t seem much evidence of ‘surprising’ assumptions or conclusions, certainly not from the main contributors.
Is there anything in particular that strikes you as unfair, unwarranted, far fetched, misleading or something akin? I am not dismissing it, just wondering what caught your attention.

One of the problems, as I see it, is the amount of time which has passed since this was first reported, and - worse - the long periods of silence from Roon (which you are absolutely right to point to) even when very specific questions are asked. In the absense of their input the thread is indeed morphing into something like a self-help and mutual support group :woozy_face:. Everyone is all to aware I guess, and it probably muddies the water.

@Mikey just having started a new thread is IMO a very sensible attempt to get back to what this was supposed to be - an interaction with @support to understand and fix a real issue.

Can I ask, as you have high-end Naim kit as well, do you actually use Airplay to the Muso a lot? If so, I envy your luck in having been exposed to this issue only once!

I played around a bit this afternoon, and for a short while (around 8 or 9 times switching playback from a different endpoint to the Muso), I thought that perhaps something had changed and it was time to close this thread… but I tried once more and… BOOMMM! :frowning_face:

My own view, or rather gut feeling, is that this has only a chance of being resolved if the finger-pointing between Naim and Roon (which is real, and from the Naim side recently in open forum) would stop, and they genuinely collaborate to provide affected users with a remedy. I am slightly more hopefull after Charlie Henderson’s response directly to me, yesterday.

Anyway, thanks for your input, genuinely appreciated. If only because the Mu-so is my entry in the world of Naim and I was well on my way to giving up ‘forever’ on an upgrade path with them. Your response helps to qualify the experiences prevalent in this thread.

1 Like

Hi Ozzie

I have read most of the thread and I do have sympathy with the issues here. However it seems of late that it has morphed into a ‘this is all Naim’s fault’ when I remain to be convinced that it is.

As I said in my last response, the view that this is Naim’s fault because it is all down to the last Muso firmware update which introduced Airplay2 is clearly flawed.

I reiterate that my 30 years plus experience with Naim does not lead me to suppose they would take a dismissive attitude to this.

We have heard from Charlie Henderson et al at Naim so Roon what is your view? Or are you happy for Naim to ‘carry the can’

Anyway, thanks for your measured and intelligent response. This is how an issue should be debated.

1 Like