Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

Sidenote, I replaced my grace digital radio - which never correctly showed what it was playing under roon only - with a naim only to find another roon only problem! In the same room with totally different hardware. Insane

I have been thinking, for some time, that there are aspects of Roon software contributing to this volume issue but it is looking, increasingly, that there isn’t the will from Roon or Naim to do anything about it.

I understand - each company is small, does absolutely awesome work, I am very glad that each exist and does what they do, truly. Especially when it’s a complex software interaction I imagine this is a pain to address and it ain’t going to percolate to the top of either company’s radar given the numbers. Which just makes me think - roon & naim , rather than talk about issue with each other for so long with little progress but significant engineering effort, just offer us a trade in path and I’m sure many of this would take that route, or simply stick with the pain of a CCA stuck in the back

1 Like

A great idea, but unlikely to happen I suspect especially when the secondhand market has plenty of muso’s available :frowning:

True, but they could totally limit it to those who have previously purchased mu-so and roon both.

Sadly, both companies are only about the £, and this issue is a clear indication of that. No matter how much one can appreciate what the companies do, ignoring customer issues on this scale is just plain disrespectful.

I imagine all it would take is Roon to have a chat with Naim and pool some resources to solve this issue.

Naim have little desire to look after existing customers, they just want the new dollar from the new customer. I think its utterly offensive they keep using the line ‘the Muso is not Roon ready’ when the issue isnt even with the PRAAT element.

I hope this thread fines its way to Naims MD, because I really don’t think he is aware of it,

1 Like

Another one from Naim to my colleague, this was reply in request asking for the MD email address to write to regardinfg the issue.

'Hi Leon,

Unfortunately we will not be fixing this issue. There are no plans to do so as it affects a very small number of customers and for this we apologise. The only work around is the set the max volume of the muso (within settings) to a low level ensuring it does not damage the drivers.

Kind Regards
Flynn

Sorry @PixelPopper, I think your faith In Naim fixing it has just died.

1 Like

Only Roon via Airplay.

Standard Airplay is fine. Just tested it now from multiple sources.

It would appear that Naim/Roon have given up on this one, no response from Naim on “my side” I’ll never buy or trust Naim again.
Finished, goodnight. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Yup, mine are going up for sale…and a nicely worded email will be sent to the NAIM MD’s…

I understand… but this is still an open ticket. I really am hoping to hear the perspective of @support on what will be done by Roon, if there is ongoing dialogue on this issue with Naim, and where to go next with this - before making a decision on how to proceed.

In Roon’s most recent post in this thread over a month ago @john wrote:

Some questions have been raised since with @support explicitly pinged, and statements made by Naim directly to affected users, thus far without response or comment from Roon. After all, this is a support thread …

1 Like

What astounds me, is Roon and Naim obviously have direct communication channels , especially as the newer Naim units are ‘Roon certified’ but Roon claim they are not able to talk to Naim, and Naim have decided to say they will never do anything to fix this issue. So, I must ask, why can Roon, not get involved a little and try to find a solution with Naim?

I don’t understand why everyone is washing their hands of a simple issue? Both companies at the ‘premium’ end of the scale in this market as well.

@support

2 Likes

Agreed. In full.

Be interesting if we will hear from @support… over this support request.

Interestingly , NAIM blame Roon according to this on Trustpilot

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.naimaudio.com

@support, how do you feel about this?

2 Likes

It’s quite remarkable to hear Naim publicly say: ‘We would suggest you escalate this issue to Roon, so we can work with them on a resolution.’, after hearing from Roon on this support thread ‘We remain ready and willing to assist Naim in getting this issue resolved as soon as possible.

Representative from both parties are still claiming they want to work together to resolve this - so is there any direct communication or collaboration ongoing?

I would also say affected customers have done their best to escalate this in a civilised manner with both Roon and Naim! My smart money is on trusting statements from Roon (much) more than from Naim, but I just don’t know how to interpret this. It’s enough to make you :sob: cry, if so inclined.

Please @noris @john @dylan @mike, can one of you or really anyone from @support take point on this and at least give us an indication of what we can expect hence forth? Or escalate internally this if this issue is getting beyond the day-job / pay-grade - you know what I mean. Right now I would appreciate almost any crumb - even a friendly emoji would do. :raising_hand_man:

The fact that Naim are prepared to put responsibility squarely with Roon in open forum, and imply that there is no current collaboration on this issue, should be worrying for all of us, and for Roon at the very highest level.

As far as I am concerned Roon can close this support thread if there is no real prospect of a solution. but not without letting us know what the situation is. I fully appreciate that all at Roon including support have had their hands full recently, but also very, very strongly feel that an update and response from Roon is now well overdue. Not only is it close to a year since this issue was first reported, but the statements from Naim in recent weeks are causing much confusion, irritation, and anger.

Naim is treating this, at the very least, very casually - and seemingly with utter disregard for customers IMHO. Please don’t do the same.

A silence-is-golden approach to sticky issues is really not working well at all for Roon, and belies the generally very high quality of product and support.

2 Likes

Trustpilot Review 2

I’ve just left my “irritation review.”

3 Likes

Without much hope, I am trying to draw Charlie Henderson’s attention via a pm on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/charliehenderson/ - thanks to @Mikey’s suggestion) ):

Dear Charlie Henderson

In recent weeks some very worrying, uninformed and rather dismissive statement have been made by Naim representatives to various clients who are, like me, suffering from (potentially ear- , equipment , and neighbourhood peace damaging) issues when using Airplay (from Roon) for playback on 1st generation Muso / Muso Qb. The issue has been ongoing for around a year, since a firmware upgrade for the Muso’s. You may be aware, but I doubt it.

This issue and the responses from Naim representatives are increasingly starting to lead to confusion, irritation and anger, with IMO reputation-damaging reviews now starting to appear on Trustpilot - see https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.naimaudio.com
The responses on behalf of Naim to the reviews on Trustpilot are again factually incorrect (e.g. they refer to ‘Roon Ready’ which has nothing to do with Airplay - it is only about the RAAT protocol) and are basically uninformed or deliberately confusing matters. This is not something I would expect from a company like Naim.

Much more anger and disappointment is evident in the Roon forum, predominantly directed at Naim. I am not sure if you can access this, but just in case - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/max-volume-on-start-airplay-ticket-open - posts over the last month or so give a good feel of customers’ attempts at communication with Naim, and the poor and dismissive responses received.

I really hope, and trust, that you can look into this matter and would try to ensure that this is dealt with in a way your customers deserve and expect, before it causes significant reputational damage.

Of course I am available to provide further information, should you require this.

Sincerely Yours,

1 Like

Good posts guys, I will do the same, hopefully others affected by this debarkle will also follow suit.

It’s also worth hitting up Naims/Focals other MD’s, as I personally think they have no idea what is going on with this, or that it even exists. The smarmy replies from Naim when I requested their contact details said a lot.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/christophe-sicaud-92718736/?originalSubdomain=fr

https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-stephenson-3a966631/?originalSubdomain=uk

You can also leave equivalent TrustPilot reviews on their Google Business page