McGowan waxes philosophic about exorbitant prices

Certainly if you want a high performance measurements based DAC, there are far cheaper options! So I agree from that perspective. Benchmark DAC 3 is Stereophile Recommended A+ DAC and is much better value. It measures far better too.

Value is a matter of personal view, overprice is something that can be measured. An overpriced thing can still have a big value for someone.

Iā€™m on that side of the audiophile world where (a few) people are happy with the sound they have, so Iā€™m not interested in any other DAC. Anyway I like to keep myself documented (more or less) and not to lose touch with the industry. But if Iā€™ll have to change the digital part of my system today, PS Audio (and many others) are at the bottom of my list (and thatā€™s not because of the sound). Given the sound quality, there are many other more decent alternatives.

1 Like

And sounds like crap in comparison. Better value is a tricky thing. I picked up my DirectStream with Bridge II card slightly used (1 month old) for $3K. I am getting excellent value. But, even at retail, the DirectStream sounds so much better than the Benchmark that I would say it offers better value. Another person might completely disagree.

Better value is a tricky thing. I picked up my DirectStream with Bridge II card slightly used (1 month old) for $3K. I am getting excellent value

That was an amazing deal on your part - well done!

Indeed. Your listening preference and many other fans of the PS Audio DSD DAC (including nearly all reviewers) would suggest that the design is very musical and this is more important than measurement performance. I believe Steve Hoffman is also a fan.

How would you describe what you hear? Is it more ā€œanalogā€ sounding?

FWIW I have a McIntosh C2600 tube preamp and love the coloration that the tubes bring despite knowing that this is strictly speaking ā€œadded distortionā€.

Well worth the investment for my setup. Lots of choices. Pick the ones you like. Iā€™m not one to bash other brands, since much of this audiophile biz is subjective. Somebody likes those brands or theyā€™d go out of business.

PS Audio is great for power products. In addition to the DSJ, I have a couple of their smaller power plants (P5, P12), and a couple of their mid-value AC5 power cords. Product quality and support is good.