Measurements: Raspberry Pi 3 as USB Audio Streamer

Moderator: Excuse me ?

I was discussing the subject/topic -simply paraphrasing.

There’s an issue with that ?

pj

Moderator: Just to let readers know that you removed (censored) my latest reply (to Leporello) !
By the same reasoning you should remove his reply above.

I suspected this forum would be OK to discuss the ‘intricacies’ of higher-resolution playback.

Awaiting your interpretation.

pj

Moderator: @peter_jasz – just seeing your message now this thread has crept back up. Not commenting on moderation in the forums, but if you’d like to discuss please send a PM to @moderators and we’ll take take it from there.

The last couple of TEAC DACs have been rather well reviewed universally, so what does that say then?

Nothing of any use. :slight_smile:

Easy, Easy: You say:

" …I’ve listened to a range of highly priced cables through my own system. These have been borrowed or given. I’ve yet to hear significant differences or even improvements with these products. I sold these on."

A couple things:

1. High-price cables were borrowed or ‘given’ to you ?

2. And then you sold it (on) ?

3. Nobody, absolutely no one I know would hand over their cables (priced about the same as a quality used car), nor would manufacturer’s/ distributor’s when I operated my own high end hi-fi shop !

4. You “sold on’” cables borrowed or given to you ? [Moderated]

pj

Yes sorry. I meant the stuff I was given. A close relative often gives me his old gear. LAT, Kimber, Crystal. You name it.He tells me to try them and if they don’t suit, sell them on towards upgrades in my own system. I have also borrowed cables in the past from retailers etc. But never sold these on!The latest thing he gave me was an Entreq grounding box and cables. Have tried it . No real impact, disappointingly. Apparently, it adds noise to the system rather than takes it away!

Lol:

" … when someone claims to hear things for which there is no known physical explanation I have the urge to get to the bottom of it."

" …One possibility … is deluding himself."

" …I don’t buy the quasi quantum mechanical arguments against blind listening," …"… getting valid results is as fundamentally impossible as determining through which slit in a diffraction grating a single photon passes …"

" … some listener who doesn’t have his ego attached"

Hmmmmm …

Of merit, and important to keep in mind, as you say:

" …and concluded that any differences I thought I might be hearing were not worth chasing."

You’re right. Unless improvements/cables/system-changes are not of the " OMG" variety -or at least “Oh my” -it’s not worth chasing. I agree completely -as most would. For it must be understood; no one, absolutely no authentic audiophile wishes to spend (or give away) money for no benefit -a benefit/improvement anyone can discern.

SImply said, some appreciate a Porsche over a Pontiac, or premium espresso vs. drip (coffee). And for some, that’s not even good enough -exploring even more refined. While for others, more common fare satisfies. It’s all good.
In the end, we either pay dearly for premium offerings, or we don’t.

pj

Moderators have deleted a post flagged by other users as in breach of the Forum guidelines (criticise ideas not people) and edited another. If the lapse of a year isn’t enough to cool emotions then this old thread will be closed.

Reading over this thread from a year ago (original and edited), I’m not feeling personally attacked. So “attacker” and “attackee” are both confused.

Note that I was personally attacked on a similarly contentious thread. The moderator issued a warning, it was heeded, but nothing was censored or edited. I was satisfied with that outcome.

When discussing listening and what people hear, or don’t hear, “the person” inevitably comes into play to some extent. Regarding my alleged “uptightness” it’s always been my position that if someone enjoys listening to stuff he’s spent gobs of money on it’s not for me to say he shouldn’t be enjoying it or have spent the money, but I will say why I wouldn’t have spent the gobs of money on the thing. If someone thinks that’s “uptight” and gets a tad sarcastic I don’t have a problem. Just don’t go demeaning my understanding of electronics technology, or computer software, or eyesight, as someone once did.

1 Like