Melco S100 Switch

In the words of my favourite comedian (Stewart Lee) - ‘Pah, facts. You can prove anythign with facts cant you…’ :smiley:

Further, given that more or less any networking kit can provide a bit perfect stream and given that any DAC made in the last 5 years is essentially jitter free (so any impact on SQ from timing errors is pretty much eradicated) none of this stuff’ makes a jot of difference.

But hey, as I said in an earlier post, people can spend their money on whatever they wish and if it makes them happy…

1 Like

It only took me 5 minutes to reply, and it was pretty light hearted and meant to be humorous. If you knew how networking works, you wouldn’t be buying a magic switch. Spend your money on anything you wish, but it doesn’t mean you need to gas-light other people to justify your purchases.

3 Likes

I agree with you wholeheartedly :slight_smile: I was just poking fun at those who think these things can make a difference despite absolute evidence to the contrary.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, buddy. Smile :slight_smile: Sorry, my final comment was more for the OP. I take it back anyway. There’s no reason for me to protect society or stifle an opinion. I’ll just let natural selection take its course. :grin:

2 Likes

Slipping OT however I have decided that I have a flair for writing hifi reviews as talking convincing yet utter bllcks just comes naturally to me. I have a set of Japanese clay figures which I ‘reviewed’ stating that they work best placed on Japanese amps and facing east back to their homeland etc. How the blacks they produced were the pure essence of the absence of light distilled and commenting on the complete lack of colouration bar the dense monochromatic transients between the notes etc. Trouble is I think people would actually take me seriously :rofl:

1 Like

You mean, they are aren’t real?

:grin: LMAO

Oh the figures are real enough - it is my ‘review’ of them that was suspect.

My first review:

Spent a fortune these Japanese figures. The marketing blurb said they help re-align the eddies in the magnetic flux generated by late golden era Jap amp transformers to point East back to roughly where the relevant factory was.

In doing so it improves the sound by 86% and dynamics by a factor of 3 or so. Apparently it is worth experimenting which order you place them on top of the amp as well as the distance between them as this can have an impact on the sonic resolving capabilities.

And my follow-up

An update on my audiophile grade Japanese flux alignment characters. As suggested by the manufacturer (and as promised) I have rearranged them in a different order and moved them closer to the front edge of the amp. They are also spaced a hair further apart.
What can I say - wow! Transients are now more err… transient and the blackness between notes is at least three times darker. It’s as though someone has turned the lights off in the studio and then darkness has transposed onto the recording somehow.
I think they need burning in a bit more though and I’ve been told that having a set in each room, even where there is no hifi, can have a compounding beneficial effect with a mu factor of 0.8 or 0.9.
If you have an amp in your set up, a Japanese one in particular, I can highly recommend these as an unlikely but well worthwhile upgrade.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look to me that anyone would take you seriously.

Likewise :smiley:

If you want to improve your systems, get out (when we can) to see live music, find your local scene (there will be one) and meet the artists, get involved with their development.
This will give you such a connection with emerging and established non main stream artists that your emotional connection with the music will rise exponentially and all this talk about uber cable and switches will just seem ridiculous. Which it does seem to me. If you are in this room, your playback system is probably brilliant anyway and you are looking in the wrong place for improvements.
It’s all about perspective

I dig all those switches, knobs, dials, and whatnots.

A manly receiver. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is a thing of beauty - proper ‘golden era’ Japanese amp from the late 70’s complete with 3 phono inputs including an excellent MC stage. Proper loudness control and useful tone controls etc. Really is lovely.

I didn’t take him seriously because everyone knows that those Japanese figures only work with Sony amps, not Yamaha! For Yamaha kit you need tuning forks (obviously) for their inherent musicality!

1 Like

I find trumpton figures work best with British made kit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Possibly, but I hear that Camberwick Green is considered essential by some instead of Trumpton, bucking the trend.

2 Likes

That is literally the oldest trick in the sales book. I’m glad you are enjoying your system.

I wholeheartedly suggest you to give it a try.

Thread mute wac-a-mole level: BOSS

2 Likes

Chigley myself.

3 Likes

If your system is a bit dull and lifeless I’ve heard The Clangers can liven things up a bit.

2 Likes